AuthorTopic: Heated seats on fire!!  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Heated seats on fire!!
« on: November 27, 2008, 00:05:21 »
I have final got round to fixing my heated seats.... got the foam out eventually which has the wire layed on top which gets hot when you turn it on. I fixed the burnt out section and repaired the two brakes and plugged it in for a test..... all worked great..... until the thermal cut out cut it out after about a minute, I waited for about 5 mins when it cut back in for a minute or so and then cut out for 5........ So I have taken the thermal cut out out! are my seats going to set on fire!

I plan to run a test tomorrow to see if they do! If they are ok does any one know of any other reason why there is a thermal cut out there?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Heated seats on fire!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 00:22:28 »
Yes, i suggest replacing with a heaer that you know works or you'll burn your bum.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 21:54:22 »
a friend had this happen hes ricovering in hospital at the moment gave him self 3 digree burns (poor sod got some ribbing after we new he was ok)we told him the heated seats need replacing as the wiring was fubared (some on had tryed to use the heated seats with out the trermal cut out (hes no the brightest coin in the box :roll:) thank fully ricovering well
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 13:55:33 »
He actually burnt his bum? I did a test yesterday and ran the heated seats with a blanket on top to see how hot it got and yes it got very warm but not to the point that would burn you? I ran it for 15 mins I might re do the test for longer with some weight on it see if that makes any difference! I am a little worry though!!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 15:55:48 »
if your worried dont do it. Last thing you want is either a fire under your bum whilst driving alone or the leccy circuit going up and all your wiring being burnt out. I have a feeling the thermal cut out is there for a reason and you should be investigating why it is cutting first.

My 2 pence worth anyway.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 20:10:31 »
I was also supprised too when his missus told us I said had he fell asleep shurly hed of felt the heat , then the truth came out it was more involved then that Ill pm the rest of the story to you if you are interested
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 21:20:36 »
Well, I have gone for it  :twisted: I did a test with the thermal cut out taken out (this is a little round unit that is set in the foam in the middle towards the rear) I place a folded fleece blanket on the seat, put some weight on it and let it burn for 15mins....... keeping an eye on it of cause! Slipped my hand in to find it toast and warm, no hot bits or melted foam! So I have put it all back together minus the thermal cut out and will test when I can drive again (waiting for fixed shoulder to repair!)

carracarra13, I Would be very interested to here the rest of the story! Still worried about my arse!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 21:57:43 »
maybe you need to put your shoulder on the toasty warm seat to mend the shoulder faster??? :lol: Just an idea!!  :) :dance:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 22:10:43 »
Or fit one of Wizards adjustable fan thermo switches to your seats
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 22:22:07 »
All good Ideas! I like the Idea of the fans...... It would be like a new Range Rover................. Heated and cooled seats!! Shoulder need all the help it can get so might take the heated seat to bed with me and lie on it!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:36:54 »
You might have misunderstood me there, you can use the fan switch to either turn a fan on or a heater off as the switch is a changeover switch, adjustable :-k

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 06:08:21 »
As a thought don't forget that this could effect your insurance:

If you did get a fire and they inspect the car finding that you have delebrately removed a safety feature then they may very justifiably refuse to pay out
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 19:04:19 »
That is a very good point about the insurance and yes, your right, if they found out it was missing I guess they would not pay out........ but...... when I repaired it there was one section that had shorted out and created a small amount of burned foam around the area. It had not started a fire due to the foam been flame retardant and the fact that as soon as the wire had broken the current stopped flowing thus creating its own cut out. So I think the chances of my Range Rover going up in smoke due to not having this safety feature is slim......... There we go I've said it now  :doh: I guess it will be up in flames before Christmas!!!

Offline symlise

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 23:19:43 »
Removing safety features... sounds a bit iffy to me. Maybe consult L.R Technical or give it a full days testing whilst at work !! Any chance of fixing mine if it's successful ??  :-k :grin:
Sometimes you buy with your heart instead of your head. In twelve months I've spent more on it than I paid for it !! Worth every penny?? Definately!!

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 22:23:38 »
Well the first few road test have been done........... I must say I've got a hot arse! From cold you can probable have them on for about 10 mins after that it get too warm, not to the point of burning but just enough to make you go "that's enough now!" It is nice when you are half way through your journey to have a little boost!

I think taking out the thermal cut out was a good move, yes it does get too hot but not to the point of burning you. If you are like me and like to feel the warmth then it's great as I have allways found heated seats never get warm enough for my liking as they allways cut out too early. That said it is a safety feature and should not be removed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal