AuthorTopic: manule vs auto  (Read 3279 times)

Offline cluffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
manule vs auto
« on: November 21, 2008, 15:30:31 »
im wanting to buy a new disco diesel but ive only ever had gears to play with when i want to. How do autos do in the offroad world are thay as good?. I mean if u do get a bit bogd in u can give it a bit of rootie toot an boobs ya uncle, but i can see the auto wantin to change just wen u dont want it to. Also do i go for the 200tdi which ive had 2of bfor and have been grate or do i go the 300 route.

Cheers
rgds
Ash
          "sniff my diff"
Www.aps-marine.co.uk
For all your scuba diving and boating needs.
Unit 29 glenmore buisness park,
Telfford rd,
Churchfields ind est
Salisbury wilts
01722 327 559

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
Re: manule vs auto
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 16:33:23 »
Out of the two Tdis...the 300 auto is the better of the two.

You can select D-Driver or 1-2-3 on the selector. If you choice 2...then it will start in first and change up to second but go no further. You can start with the selector in 1 and then move to 2 when you want second.

Those that have autos off road never go back to manuals and they are pretty much de-riguer in the challenge scene at the moment and comp safari racers have been using them even longer.

The key to hard use of an auto offroad is to make sure that you have a good fluid cooler and you make sure that the ATF is in top condition. Nothing kills an auto quicker than heat and burnt ATF.

Also bear in mind that you will have less engine braking with an auto so you will have to perfect the art of threshold braking on some down hills. But on the up side, you can't readily spin the wheels with an auto and can't stall them so with the use of the foot brake you have an almost infinately low low first gear.

HTH

Offline cluffy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 16:41:25 »
thanks for that. Ive herd the 300 isnt as powerful as the 200 is that true?
rgds
Ash
          "sniff my diff"
Www.aps-marine.co.uk
Telfford rd,
Churchfields ind est
Salisbury wilts
01722 327 559

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 16:46:48 »
On paper I think the 300 is MORE powerful??

My question on autos as I'm also thinking down this route, is what are they like towing? as you have less engine breaking does this become an issue with a couple of tonne behind you??
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 16:50:31 »

I've driven both 200 and 300 autos and I'd say the 300 was the more 'spritely' :)

@Crazymac. Don't know never towed with an auto.

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 16:52:32 »
They are fantastic for towing. As has been said you can put it in 1st and there it will stay so you get engine braking. I drag a 23ft van and sometimes a trailer carrying about 2 tonne and it's so much easier with the auto than with gears. You don't arrive quite as knackered after all the gear changing, especially when you tow places like Cumbria or N Wales.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline peasey

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 16:57:07 »
I have  a 300 tdi auto and its exactly as andy and mike say it is awesome off road never once faultered in anyway,and the auto box is bomb proof.
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Offline cluffy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 17:14:13 »
 wat about the torque converter how long would it last under heavy abuse?
rgds
Ash
          "sniff my diff"
Www.aps-marine.co.uk
Telfford rd,
Churchfields ind est
Salisbury wilts
01722 327 559

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 17:32:20 »
As regards towing, auto is fine - I used to drag large hospitality trailers up and down the country back in the days before diesel was the fuel of choice... 3.9 RR and 2.5 tonnes on the back!

Aerodynamics of a block of flats - got bored when I was doing second stop at the petrol station in the same day...

An auto gives you absolute control - I used to slap it in low and then shunt trailers into tiny gaps

Hope this helps...

Rob
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline cluffy

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 17:38:02 »
do the 300 still like runing on 50/50 cheep veg oil an diesel?
rgds
Ash
          "sniff my diff"
Www.aps-marine.co.uk
Telfford rd,
Churchfields ind est
Salisbury wilts
01722 327 559

Offline trecfive

Attack Member
  • If it fit's the hook it'll pull it.
    • Nuneaton
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 18:51:04 »
Auto's all the way. 3 1/2 tons on the hook no problem,  300tdi auto se with minor pump alterations. The car on the trailer weighed 2 1/2 tons .
1. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash
2. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash, apparently very rare.

Offline BigA

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49:29 »
I have a 300 TDI auto and had the same concerns when i was firt thinking of going to an auto. I can say that i would never go back to a manual now. Off road its great, for laning and easy stuff just i just use drive with no problems. More serious inclines etc. as said you can select from 1-3, but i generally use these more for down hill control, as, as said, lack of engine braking can take ab bit of getting used to at first.

Then again, as anyone who has seen my off road "skills" this all may be rubbish lol.

As for towing, i only have a Sanky, but you just dont know its there, its like driving without a trailer.

Andy
1978 Series III 88"

Offline cluffy

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:23 »
thanks guys, for all your imput. Still unsure wat to do i realy do not no. Any body got a auto disco theyl let me try? Haa haa haa.
rgds
Ash
          "sniff my diff"
Www.aps-marine.co.uk
Telfford rd,
Churchfields ind est
Salisbury wilts
01722 327 559

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:07 »
I love my Disco V8 auto, on LPG.  I also tow a lot with it.

Personally, I would always choose an V8 on LPG over diesel any day* (more power, cheaper to run, that loverly V8 sound) unless you intend to do a lot of off-roading.  Also, it is much greener than a diesel, if you worry about those sort of things.

*that's why I bought a V8 LPG instead of a diesel!
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 20:37:00 »

I've driven both 200 and 300 autos and I'd say the 300 was the more 'spritely' :)

@Crazymac. Don't know never towed with an auto.

Towing with an auto? you'll never go back to manual.  No burned clutches, no stalls, the auto box will hold the engine at 2,000RPM, peak torque, 'till you're moving so you're off the mark ASAP.  Engine braking, well I took our 'van down Blue Bank near Whitby, it's got warnings all over it as a steep descent, so I stuck it in 1st High.  Well the engine braking was so effective I had to hit the gas to get it to go down the hill, guy behind must have though my brakes lights were out as I didn't need them 'till the bent at the bottom.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 20:39:38 »
thanks guys, for all your imput. Still unsure wat to do i realy do not no. Any body got a auto disco theyl let me try? Haa haa haa.

I'll take you out for a spin in mine if you're passing.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline cooper956

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 09:44:04 »
Haveing bought a 200tdi auto i can say thay ar faster and nicer to drive than man`s i left my m8 behind a junctions and on the moterway he couldnt keep up i have a 300tdi ma too and i think it would leave that behind too 200 or 300 i dont think it would matter its just a case of finding a rust free one the 200 i just got need some welding ect but it realy drives well as for off road i have a v8 rangie auto some years ago and that was ok off road just never in the wrong gear for hill`s just  hit the gas more.
disco 300tdi xs
109 pickup
caseih 956 turbo 4x4
ih b-275
jd 355
plus banger cars and race cars lol
get in hold on and shut up!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 21:35:24 »
sorry to buck the trend guys but I am never buying an auto again. Hateful hateful hateful.

Off road is an exception. Fantastic and love it. As mentioned above you cant spin the wheels as easy so towing big vans out of mud is a doddle. Up and down muddy hills is good too.

Towing. Dont even bother. I am on my second engine now (nothing to do with towing, blame it on veg oil) and this new engine is not much better at towing my 25ft caravan. I have been down to 40mph up hills with the 'van on the back. I have taken the kick down off which has helped but even so.

MPG I get about 23 solo and 17 towing. Dr ed on here has a 200tdi manaul and gets low 30's solo. So I loose 10mpg for being an auto. I rarely drive mine now. Mine hasnt been off the drive for a month. Very tempted to sorn it soon.

So sorry to be a killer but these are my thoughts.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline JIMBOBLY

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 23:07:54 »
like people have said about diesel autos,they are only getting around 21mpg to 25,my v8 rangie will do 17,thats not even 10 more miles on a gallon,and how much cheaper is petrol than diesel,also the the 3.9 rangie and discos are far cheaper to buy,something worth thinking about mate :D

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 17:54:42 »
My sister gets 21 MPG towing and almost 30mpg solo, with a 300 TDi auto RRC softdash, 100,000 miles odd.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 18:59:23 »
and can't stall them so with the use of the foot brake you have an almost infinately low low first gear
Which can also be an advantage when wading through rivers/etc...

You hit a submerged rock/tree-stump. With an automatic the engine keeps running, it doesn't stall, giving all the problems of trying to restart with the exhaust underwater & subsequent filling of the system.

My Personal Opinion;
When I was looking round for a Discovery a few years ago (late 2002), on wifes 'orders', I tried a 'M' plated Tdi auto belonging to one of our Sisters

Whether it was a problem with that particular vehicle, I have no idea (no other points of referance), but pulling away at a junction took either; psychic abilities, nerves of steel, or simply trusting to luck
It had a terrible 'hesitation' before deciding to pull away

I'd dread to think what it'd have been like with the twin-axle Swift Challenger we owned at that time
That put me off buying the auto, even though SWMBO fancied the idea of one, & I ended up with my 50th Anniversary (wonder how many on here now remember that??)

Digressing;
I know it's a whole different 'kettle of fish', but the automatic in the XKR suits that (most of the time)
The kickdown works superbly, when in conjunction with the 'Sport' mode :clap:
But.... I do tend to use the manual side of the 'J-Shift' a heck of a lot

Having said that, I would dearly love to try one of the few manual versions that were factory built (using the Tremec box, as in the Corvette/Viper, as far as I know)

After-market 6-speed manual conversions are apparantly available, but the swap-over seemingly costs about £10,000 :shock: :shock:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 19:07:45 »

Whether it was a problem with that particular vehicle, I have no idea (no other points of referance), but pulling away at a junction took either; psychic abilities, nerves of steel, or simply trusting to luck
It had a terrible 'hesitation' before deciding to pull away

I'd dread to think what it'd have been like with the twin-axle Swift Challenger we owned at that time

I tow a twin axle van and yes you have to have physycic abilities and nerves of steel!!!! It is like you are sending a carrier pidgeon to the engine to ask for it to go now.

You plant the loud pedal, disco thinks about it, then a bit more, then wakes up and goes, oh you mean ME. You want me to go. ok then but not fast as I have just woken up!!!

Best thing is to take kick down out and hold it in each gear manaully. For an extra boost, put the hand break on and give it some beans then let the hand brake go. Gets you going that bit quicker as the turbo is wound up.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 20:26:31 »
I find my V8 auto is quick off the line.  Never driven a diesel auto so can't speak for them.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

Offline digger

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 20:21:04 »
i've got a 300tdi auto disco it does 21 mpg and with 33 on it its a bit slow of the mark but awesome off road
200tdi disco project
98 2 DOOR 300TDI DISCO  SUZUKI SJ  FORD TRANSIT suzuki vitara trayback disco project

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 22:33:46 »
My LSE is a tad hesitant at kickdown, but TBH it shouldn't be a factor when setting off.  When did you last service the 'box?

Meanwhile I'll ask my sister what hers is like for pulling away, I know she finds it a bit slow after a V8 auto, though it's easier to keep a steady speed with the TDi.  TBH I think her RRC goes like a stabbed rat :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal