AuthorTopic: Which are Best "Jap 4x4's or british Landies " ??  (Read 10614 times)

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Which are Best "Jap 4x4's or british Landies " ??
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 01:16:27 »
They aren't Landies they have no soul its just a car.......
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:33 »
thats why i bought a disco....its a 90 with a different body and 6 extra inches in the chassis.
i think the modded discos/rrc work better anyways!

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 09:21:22 »
Ok, if I was goign to drive across austrailia id go for a Jap, but for hobby its the landrover, also looks like there is more kit around for landrovers wihch is a bit ofa viscious circle.  My reasons for havign a landover are all brand and history, nothing objective at all!

CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 10:26:51 »
When we bought the first Freelander, just about every piece of trim squeaked or rattled...... If it were anything else, we'd have taken it back. But we accepted that maybe it was more of a 'real' Land Rover than we first thought  :lol:

And now our current one even has resident spiders! This one is officially a Land Rover  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 14:45:58 »
I have spiders, the odd rattle, and occasional dribbles of engine fluids. But when it's not doing that it's very comfy, will handle anything I've aimed it at, and pulls like a train.

At just under 6ft I wouldn't find a Defender anything like as comfortable, and it's fun winding up the remaining die-hards who refuse to believe that a Disco can off road.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Mud Surfer

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 15:42:27 »
There is so much banter about who has 'the best' and as someone has put on here already, we all get along really, they are all great - they do the job they were bought for in varying degrees.  I don't drive a LR 90 or 110 or similar, as I don't like the driving position and lack of comfort, don't have a Disco as the load space is quite small, and LRs are not that well built and a lot of the parts are cheaply made and have to be replaced often.  I own two Toyota Hilux Surfs, and my girlfriend has on too - yes the parts are more expensive (sometimes) although I don't have any trouble sourcing or fitting mine, and I am by no means technically or mechanically minded.

I'd have a Nissan Patrol if one came up in the price range I'd be happy to pay, or an LC80 or similar, but out of preferance, no LRs - I like my creature comforts too much.  The little Zooks and Diahatsus are great fun, and my friends have SJs and are unstoppable - tip them back over and start again.

I use my Surf every day, on road and off - it does what it's meant to, has loads of space, and looks the nuts - couldn't ask for better than that!
It's gripped; it's sorted; Let's Off Road!!!

'96/N Hilux Surf SSR-G 3.0L & '94/L SSR-X 3.0L, Audi Allroad

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 17:56:48 »
there will always be two types of people that off road...

1) People who put thought into what vehicle might suit them best

2) People who want a land rover.

Ill be honest, i didnt buy mine because its the best thing off road, or because parts are cheap or any of the other reasons mentioned. I bought it because it was an old car that i could mess about with. so if your not interested in how your car works or even interested in fixing/tinkering with your car then dont buy a land rover, but for the car enthusiast it could be one of the most rewarding/stressful decisions you will ever make.

Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 18:08:46 »
I could get an 04 plate shogun for the price of a 1999 LR 90

Doesn't depreciation like that tell you something! :twisted:
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline general baxter

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 18:44:41 »
still sitting like this 3 1/2 weeks and counting  :doh:

Nissan Patrol Y61, 2.8TD, Ironman 2" lift kit, Tough Dog castor bush correction kit, Extended brake lines, Custom Chrome exhaust system tooked up into the chassis, CB, 4x250watt 7" spot lamps, 12000lb winch, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, Insa turbo 16" special track tyres, 4x100watt roof spots lamps, snorkel, raised diff breathers

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 19:28:01 »
"Ill be honest, i didnt buy mine because its the best thing off road, or because parts are cheap or any of the other reasons mentioned. I bought it because it was an old car that i could mess about with. so if your not interested in how your car works or even interested in fixing/tinkering with your car then dont buy a land rover, but for the car enthusiast it could be one of the most rewarding/stressful decisions you will ever make."

very true! gotta walk that rewarding/stressful line haha! today im on the stressful side!
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 19:39:48 »
oh and as for landys being 'a rip off' all i can say is you get what you pay for, somthings only worth what people will pay for it.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline paul_humphreys

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 19:46:25 »
Well after 20 years of LRs I got a Landcruiser 80 series. Cheeper than haveing lockers fitted to me 110. The only problem I have now is I have no use for my spanners and scokets :shocked: :shocked:

Paul
LC 80 series 1993. 285/75/16s Cooper STTs, OME 850s on the front with 25mm packer, 868s on the rear. 4.88 diffs. Winch bumper with 12000lb winch. Factory lockers. HD rear bumper with wheel carrier and winch mount.

http://www.crag-uk.org

Offline graham

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 00:26:48 »
I had a Disco TD5 had nothing but trouble with it got the Nissan never had any problems  :)
Have a Lightweight for fun and fixing  :lol:
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 14:12:16 »
Well after 20 years of LRs I got a Landcruiser 80 series. Cheeper than haveing lockers fitted to me 110. The only problem I have now is I have no use for my spanners and scokets :shocked: :shocked:

Paul

same here,but mines a jeep,i got fed up of fixing stuff everytime i went anywhere,I suppose the newer landies are a lot better but unless youve got ££££,s everybody has to buy reasonably old motors and that is where the problems start so I bought the newest i could afford and therefore it doesnt break as often,If i wanted to have a motor that i could thrash all day long at pay and plays id buy a zook or an old daihatsu and pull it to events on a trailer on the back of my jeep but for laning you cant beat leather seats and air-con when you are doin a full days laning,when i did that with the 90 i felt like id done 10 rounds with mike tyson it was so uncomfortable
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 16:22:17 »
I love my 110 to bits and yes it's noisy and hot in the summer and cold in the winter,did i mention it leaks like a tea bag.
But i love driving it.
My dad has brought a new L200 and had to have a new gear box fitted 3 months in to ownership.Then the new gearbox started leaking oil on his drive.
He's just got it back from the dealships paint shop coz the bottom of both front doors started to rust.
Defenders are over priced but if looked after they hold on to that price.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 16:55:40 »
This subject is always good for mine's better than yours arguements i like my 110 don't care what anyone says it's comfterble it's warm it doesn't leak like a sieve it's quick it does what i want it to and as for reliable wellll so far so good, Jap stuff well they make some brilliant off roaders if i could afford it would love a landcruiser amazon but i would get bored due to being hard to personilse like mine has been. Had it for 13 years and it's alltered to my changes in life i.e started out as a standard hard top then changed to the rear being a camper with fold out bed then put windows and seats in the back and if i want to change it to a station wagon get the bit's and bolt them on.. so go with what ever floats your boat. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same!! ;) ;) :lol:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 20:05:21 »
This subject is always good for mine's better than yours arguements i like my 110 don't care what anyone says it's comfterble it's warm it doesn't leak like a sieve it's quick it does what i want it to and as for reliable wellll so far so good, Jap stuff well they make some brilliant off roaders if i could afford it would love a landcruiser amazon but i would get bored due to being hard to personilse like mine has been. Had it for 13 years and it's alltered to my changes in life i.e started out as a standard hard top then changed to the rear being a camper with fold out bed then put windows and seats in the back and if i want to change it to a station wagon get the bit's and bolt them on.. so go with what ever floats your boat. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same!! ;) ;) :lol:

too true
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline jiffyman

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 22:07:40 »
Yep lada niva just take the tow bar off :D

Cheers Gav

AGREED!!! 

(mine is slightly bent!!)
4X4 pix at http://ladaniva.fotopic.net

http://jiffyregister.fotopic.net

1997 1.7i Niva Hussar

(HOODOO lift kit)
(205/16 Colway C-Max Sport Tyres)
(Pro Comp ES9000s)
(Snorkel made from bits 'acquired' from work and B&Q)

YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD BECAUSE YOU STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 22:34:27 »
When I got divorced I bought a Freelander TD4 with the proceeds. The family soon out grew that (extra grandkids) so I got myself a DiscoTD5 and think it is great. A mate of mine has a Suzuki Jimny and he thinks that is great.

Both the Freeby and the Jimny went around Cowm Quarry and we lived to tell the tale - The jimny did float a bit in that big lagoon on the far side.

I would rather have a Landy - it is what I have always wanted. At least you can order parts without referring to the chassis number  :shock:

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 23:27:37 »
Whatever 4x4 you drive, it's ultimately down to personal choice.

Me? ............ Land Rover every time and if you don't believe me, I was up at Cannock Chase on Saturday and in my group I had a Mitsi, Isuzu and Disco1 ...........

bearing mind all 3 drivers were of similar experience - it was the Disco that made it places the othe rtwo could only dream of.

Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

pux

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:34 »
well after a very long period of owning a Landy and having drivin Jap stuff abroad in sandy places, i have now turned the corner and own a Honda foreman quad bike  :shock: :shock: and i can tell you now stuff 4x4 quads win everytime :lol: :lol: :lol: your get wet cold numb but your still smiling :D :D :D

Offline mad geordies

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 13:09:07 »
this is one of them questions to stir the pot, loads of people have there own choice, at the end of the day whatever you drive if it gets you the same enjoyment as some one who has spent 10k on there 4x4 and you payed 1k who cares
i own a jap motor where i have spent loads of cash on it to get it the way i want, but i also like 90,s when there tricked up look very nice,
but saying that how many times when offroading and you have been stuck has there been a daft little 100 quid suzuki flying past lol
end of day as long as you drive and enjoy it who gives a monkeys what it is?

Silvery Thing

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 17:08:56 »
....end of day as long as you drive and enjoy it who gives a monkeys what it is?

Too true :clap:

But I still say my car is better than your car :dance: ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 17:10:51 by Silvery Thing »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal