AuthorTopic: Rough Running  (Read 1088 times)

Offline rustprooflandyracer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rough Running
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:10:54 »
My 2.25 Naturally Asmatic diesel, is running incredibly rough,

Symptoms: Poor starting, clanky noise that seems to be throttle related, with blue smoke from the exhaust, on the over run, there is a load rasping noise from the exhaust with black smoke (when going down hillwith no throttle and letting the engine brake). It is running rather hot aswell.

Possible problems: Timing and injecto pump need a good over haul, butterfly incorrectly set, The valve stem oil seals probably need replacing, temperature sender is wrong for the head I hae fitted or a head gasket needs replacing.

any other suggestions/ advice would be amazing.

Thanks
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
Re: Rough Running
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 15:52:08 »
Has this suddenly happened or has it been getting worst over time?

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 22:10:56 »
I was suddenly driving when, I lost alot of power, with huge amounts of blue smoke and a real rough running acceleration, the engine was also struggling to hold a idle. Adjusted the butterfly in the inlet manifold, seemed to cure the problem however, there is still a definitive clanking noise from the engine, and blue smoke along with previously described symptoms.

Cheers

Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:42:51 »
Had very similar problems with mt Transit diesel N/A. Turned out the timing belt had jumped a couple of teeth due to a lump of dried mud falling off of the timing cover.

Darren   

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 17:15:45 »
Think I would probably check the timing then....could be that the timing chain tensioner is on it's last legs and the chain has jumped a tooth.....a bit like Darren is suggesting.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you have lost a pistion ring...or part of one. I have seen this on 3 2.25 n/a diesel engines now. Seems that when they start to burn oil due to wear then a long run or lots of 'hard' work can accelrate the problem and eventually a piston ring breaks up.

Check the timing first; otherwise it could be a head off job.

Sorry that it all sounds like doom and gloom.....you can always wait for a third opinion if you want :)

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 18:08:58 »
Well, I'll be annoyed as it has just had a recon engine after 16k of miles on it, so I'm hoping it will be just the timing or a worn injector pump. Cheers for the advice
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal