AuthorTopic: Steering box removal, am I being a plonker?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline carbore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering box removal, am I being a plonker?
« on: June 19, 2008, 21:10:17 »
Hi,

Im stripping my spare bulkhead for painting (yes I have actually started work on the SIII) and haev a problem

The Steering box has the 90deg splined output on it which has an "arm"? in it, held on with big nut. Now I have undone the big nut and tried to get the arm of but to no avail.

I have hit it, in the driection of off tried a gear puller that just slipped off all thie time, and  braced the arm and hit the end of the shaft.

No luck.

Am I missing something, I did heat it a bit to start with but should I give it a real good heating and try another wallop?

Any ideas?
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Re: Steering box removal, am I being a plonker?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 21:40:20 »
The drop/swing arm on the steering box is a right swine to get off.  Be warned, by heating that arm you destroy the seal and bush inside the steering box so they will have to be replaced as well.  Without looking at the manual, just double check that there aren't any pins or the sorts holding it in.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 18:52:38 »
I did some more hitting and swearing but got nowhere.

I then resorted to brain power and had a look at the book, it says use Leyland special tool 6000000, not only is this a pain, its a worry as I hope I dont need the other 5999999 special tools later on in the rebuild!

I did then find this article http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3966 from someone who made one, and I am rather fortunate in the fact my father is a retired engineer who happens to have a lathe and milling machine in his garrage (he is currenlty building an engine from scratch, every single bit!)

So im going to email him the plans and ask very nicley unless I try a big whack it with hammer type joint splitter, however I dont see why they recomend a special tool if a normal splitter would do it. 

A few ads I have seen special tools for are very spensive unless anyone has any ideas?

Nearly forgot, most thread I found say cut it off and buy a new one for £5, not sure I like the idea as that could damage the splines???? although its v.tempting as I have a spre one to practice on.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 18:54:48 by carbore »

Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 16:28:26 »
What you need is a hydraulic puller. Something like THIS, although there are more heavy duty versions. Some hire shops have these. Failing that, try your local garage & see if they'll lend you one for half an hour.
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 21:41:19 »
Evening.

Why do you need to remove the arm.

When i rebuilt mine i have taken the steering box and said arm off in one and then out it back on the then refurbed bulkhead. Just of case of removing the bracketry that attaches the box to the bulkhead and chassis.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 22:28:57 »
Hmm, thats an idea, I may have not thought this through properly. Ill have a go as I think your right.

Cheers.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:35:56 »
drop arm removal tools are dead easy to make up.  Hitting it will knacker your steering box though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal