AuthorTopic: Workshop Section of Mud-Club  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Rasbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Workshop Section of Mud-Club
« on: May 02, 2008, 16:35:32 »
So how many people would use the workshop section if it were to be put back up, is it a good idea or not, would you upload tech drawings etc
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Re: Workshop Section of Mud-Club
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 17:40:38 »
YES BUT....

I have thought the same, there is definitely scope to discuss general Car/workshop techniques and troubleshooting rather than stick it in just "your marque" section or in the Bar which gets a bit full of "bar room talk (politivs). I would pass on various knowledge of how to do this/that etc, good tools, ways to fix things and the such.

The PROBLEM is that workshop drawing, pdfs, RAVE and other such are COPYRIGHT and the Moderators would quite rightly delete it, even links to it are "iffy" I know people think "share the knowledge" and maybe I agree on the manufacturer manuals, but if if written a book and how to fis something and then found PDF's of it all over the internet id be a bit peeved!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 17:57:51 »
i was thinking more along the lines of having drawings of fabricated items etc
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 20:14:52 »
Drawing's of fabricated items would be great,I think it would have more landrover content than any other marque though...I have a few photo assay's of niva bit but thats all..

Cheers Gav
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 20:36:33 »
If I had anything suitable I would contribute. My only worry is with the copyright question. See, there are only so many designs for a steering guard (one example) so they will all tend to look the same. How do you tell the difference between parallel evolution and a rip-off?  :-k
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 21:06:44 »
alot of bolt on bits arent pantented therefore no copyright infringement would occur, unless you use the name of the manufacturer on it. there are a few exeptions with the likes of x-eng etc, but if some one was to diy something to that standard i would be impressed
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 22:54:00 »
But if you were to photograph your repairs then that would be a help wouldn't it? How often do you start a repair only to get to that awkward bit that would be explained so easily with a phot and a few words.

When my rear sunroof on the Disco jammed open the Haynes Manual states that repair of the sunroof is beyond the reach of mortal man. The RAVE cd gives a step by step dismantling procedure which is pretty straightforward.  So, if you were the amateur mechanic thinking I will have a go at that and you look at the Haynes book of lies you might think no, I will pay an expert to sort it out. 

Sometimes the easy fixes are learnt through other peoples mistakes/misfortune or bloody good luck    :)

John

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 23:02:59 »
In my experience the RAVE materials are a lot better than the Haynes manual. I far prefer clear exploded diagrams to written descriptions with a few photos.

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 23:11:02 »
In my experience the RAVE materials are a lot better than the Haynes manual. I far prefer clear exploded diagrams to written descriptions with a few photos.

My point exactly. There is little point in posting scanned copies of copyrighted material that will get pulled by the mods but a photo of a difficult job would make all the difference

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 23:14:39 »
this simple thing all sounds rather complicated now !
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:25:20 »
With any luck I should be replacing the idler bearing in my air conditioning compressor soon (the old one whines after a deep ford!). I'll take photos for use if this idea works. I have seen an Aussie site talking about doing this (where I learned that it was possible) but the more places that have the information the better. Looks like a new bearing will cost me £16 or so compared to the £140 a main dealer wanted to replace the pulley!

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:15 »
Next time I do any work on the disco will take some pics, if workshop section comes back on line would be happy to post them.
It doesnt have to be just drawings for fabrication? does it?
photo how to's on wheel bearings, brake pads, lines, lift kits etc might be a great help.

Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 12:14:42 »
i think anything that would help fellow owners would be a great help, so no, not just drawings. step-by-step guides with pics would especialy be helpful etc.
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

spud the king

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 22:36:15 »
think the hole idear  is spot on as  i did a lift on my disco and had no idear off how to go about it , i did it though but the hard way  and have looked at making my  bits [ sump gard and tank gard]  but then  you need one to make one   if you know what i meen   cos photos in mags and that dont have  much info or photos from all  angals

Offline BeJay

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 02:13:07 »

This,     http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285      with acknoledgement (and all credit to) Les Henson is the perfect example of how helpful this type of section can be, I think it would be very hard to find an easier to follow and clearer step by step explanation with pictures of this particular job anywhere on the net, well done Les  :clap: :clap: :clap: a brilliant and extremely helpful post.

...........cheers, Jack.

nil illigitimus carborundum

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:27 »
The value of any section like this is set by the people who are willing to contribute.   In the previous section, there were a few photo how-tos for things like fitting snorkels, changing wheel bearings, etc. etc.   but I can count on one hand the number of people who contributed.

We can revive the section, but there is nothing worse than it being left to gather dust with no content... that's why it was taken offline before  :'(
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 15:34:10 »
Harvard referencing anyone? :lol:
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 22:51:52 »
If this section isn't being ressurected, does anyone want a photo guide on how not, sorry, how to change the radiator on a Disco TD5?

Cheers
John

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 17:50:32 »
Would a DIY sticky in each of the car specific boards be a better idea ..

ie. all the Disco owners could put their DIY repairs and gadgets/drawings in the Disco sticky defenders in theirs ,RR in theirs etc
that way there would be no need for a special section and if they fill up with loads of useful stuff as people are offering then they could be trimmed and added to a master area :D

but if they don't fill up you can just take the sticky off and let it drft away...  :(
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 17:55:43 »
that sounds like a spot on idea. that way everyone has an oppertunity to participate to their particular choice of vehicle
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 18:04:00 »
Just thought that in the past there have been work shop areas that were not used and to have one again would be a lot of work for the teccies then not used .

This way if the people who say they will contribute actually do ,then the comments and stuff can be cut out and the thread moved into a sealed workshop area as a how to..
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 20:27:13 »
sounds good to me :D
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 20:56:42 »
I should be ordering the bearing for mine tomorrow - will include contact details in the write-up as I had a devil of a job finding out where to get them from.

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 21:10:17 »
If this section isn't being ressurected, does anyone want a photo guide on how not, sorry, how to change the radiator on a Disco TD5?

Cheers
John

there's your answer bud, stick it in a post along with any pics, details etc. hopefully with more people like yourself there will be a pretty comprehensive selection

andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal