AuthorTopic: Rear Tub Lid  (Read 916 times)

Offline Panda

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Tub Lid
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:52:55 »
Ok now my truck has its new look i cant keep the old rear tub cover. so i have a sheet of check plate and i have a few ideas but not sure which one to go for, so my questions are, which one would you choose, why would you choose that and can you see any problems with any of them?

Below are my four ideas the designs are a little red neck but best i could do with what i got. Any and all help would be grate.

Thanks
Your never too old to grow up.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
Re: Rear Tub Lid
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:37:08 »
Hello,

Its hard to say which would be best and it is likley to depend on what you use the beast for and what you carry. Option 1 looks most secure so if its tools and recovery gear it may be a winner, but also less flexable (in both senses of thde word)

My advice is to build a prototype in plywood. as you will cut it quicker and save wasting your chequreplate.

You can try out any/all designs and it will also show you if you have unforseen clearance problems or issues with where to fix/support the top.

Yo may find that you ave a problem with rigidity.
Alos beware that hinges dont allways offer tue 180deg folding, especiallly once fixed to a surface. For example if the hinge is on the inside of the lid, when you fold it open the chequre plare will prevent it folding flat so this may influence how you use (and design) the thing.

Good luck, measure twice, cut once etc....
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 15:44:01 »
I like idea 1, simpler than the others and maybe easier to make secure, does this have to be water-proof too? as that'd be the hardest thing to get around if it is! could you bolt spare wheel down on idea 1 and when open it would go between roll cage rear bars? or is there not enough length?
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Panda

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 16:13:54 »
does this have to be water-proof too?

No it doesn't have to be water tight but i would like it water resistance and to make it like that i was thing that i could run a bead of silicon around the edge and hope for the best.

could you bolt spare wheel down on idea 1

I have just got a swing away spare wheel carrier. so that's not an issues.

when open it would go between roll cage rear bars? or is there not enough length?

If i was to go for idea one then yes the metal would hit the roll cage bars and have to rest on them only giving me access to have of the tub.

Thank you Mr carbore and Mr lightweight :clap: you have some good ideas that i didn't even thing about :doh:
Your never too old to grow up.

Offline ash240970

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 16:40:13 »
I'd go for no 2 then fit some of those bonnet strut thingys to keep the lids in an upright position allowing you to put something big and bulky in the back if the need ever arises

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal