AuthorTopic: Help please! I conked out!!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline paulmmc

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help please! I conked out!!
« on: April 06, 2008, 18:02:48 »
Hi,
I went for a nice long spin yesterday to move a coule of horses for my girlfriend. Did about 100miles down to Kent then turned around. On the way back my Landy (1981 Petrol series 3) started struggling a couple of times. Now, i know it's old and a petrol and not exactly a rocket but it was quite happily pulling the horsebox and horse all the way down at about 50mph, but on the return journey it was struggling to do 30mph at times.
Anyway, it was acting as if there was a rev limiter, i pulled onto the hard shoulder and even when i revved the engine in neutral it was slow to rev and the revs peaked much much lower than usual, also it really 'chugged' when revved, what i mean to say is that as it revved it created a real rocking motion.
We pushed on anyway and it kept being fine again, then slow angain, fine again etc, etc, etc until i was nearly home when it stalled in first gear when pulling off. It took loads of turning over to get it going again (good job i have a strong battery) but it stalled twice more before I managed to get the trailer back to my field. On my way home however it stalled again (luckily 5 mins from my house) and just will not start again, i even tow-started it but it just kept cutting out, now it won't start at all, just keeps turning over and not attempting to fire.
Basically, I have some time tomorrow to have a look and would greatly appreciate any pointers from you experienced owners.
I've cleaned the dizzy and fuel pumps working.
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Cheers,
Paul
1981 Series III, Petrol SWB
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto
(Both of the above soon to become one hybrid!)

Offline joe90

Attack Member
  • Find me on twitter @joeohall
    • Loughborough
Re: Help please! I conked out!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 18:47:49 »
Mine did this and i found it was the Lumenition timing module that Id fitted two months earlier, It would either start fine then play up when warm, or be a sod to start but then run fine.!! needless to say it was removed and binned and works ok now worst thing id ever brought for my truck!

It may be something simple like changing the fuel filter...

Good luck with it!
Joe O'Halloran
2007 Discovery 3 GS 2.7L V6
1979 Series 3 88" 2.25L  Rag Top ERC915T

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 20:16:43 »
could be a leak in a fuel line letting air in, a blocked fuel filter, gunged up carb, or maybe the coil starting to break down?
it does sound to be fuel related to me.

i had a similar problem years ago with a vauxhall, i tracked it down to a duff alternator in the end, not giving enough juice out to run the injection system!
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 21:39:35 »
My money is on the condensor, or the return feed from the distributor to coil (be it the internal wire in the distributor or the external one going to the coil).

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 00:38:54 »
i leave you alone for a few weeks and look what happens!  :roll:
id check over electrics first man, coil still kicking out 12 volts? leeds earthing out? if u got old condensor stick it on maybe!
if cud be fuel prob pour some petrol down carb and give it a try!
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 00:56:28 »
Another thought is a leaking inlet manifold, at either the joint between head and manifold or carb to manifold.

i had a similar problem years ago with a vauxhall, i tracked it down to a duff alternator in the end, not giving enough juice out to run the injection system!
Series Landies aren't quite that advanced.  :lol:

Offline dead camel

Attack Member
  • my landy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 20:08:08 »
hi i believe the problem to be fuel related, check your fuel filter if thats ok check ypur carb float chamber maybe dirty. i had similar problem and it turned out to be a dirty fuel filter and dirt in the fuel glass bowl on the fuel pump itself. good luck!!
4 kids one wife!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 02:53:36 »
My RRC did this when the coil was FUBAR.

Try and get hoold of a Gunson's Sparktester, it will tell yo if you have a good spark by measuring the gap the spark can jump, also the colour will tell you something, if it's blue then good, if it's yellow then condensor.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline paulmmc

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:30:57 »
Thanks for all your help guys.
I'm pleased to say it was an easy fix after all! When i finally got a chance to look at it in the light (it was dark when i broke down) i noticed that the spring loaded contact from the HT lead to the rotor arm was lose and it just fell out in my hand, one quick trip to Halfords later and it's sorted!

On another topic, I'm not sure if this has been covered before on this board but a few years ago i got hold of a 'Halfords trade card' from a friend who worked there, this gives you good discounts on some of their products, mainly car parts, bulbs and some professional tools but you get great discounts on batteries, i've saved £20 - £30 before. If you are in any way in an engineering trade you might be able to get one and it could save a fortune... ask in store for details etc etc etc and happy bargain hunting.

Thanks again.
1981 Series III, Petrol SWB
1987 Rangie 3.5V8 Auto
(Both of the above soon to become one hybrid!)

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:02 »
i've saved £20 - £30 before

I checked the price on new 130ah leisure batts for the narrowboat the other day - £130odd without the card, £65ish with
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal