AuthorTopic: A slightly annoying rattle, or something really expensive?  (Read 6165 times)

Offline WHITE WHULF

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
A slightly annoying rattle, or something really expensive?
« on: February 06, 2005, 18:49:47 »
Hi All, My 90 has developed a slightly annoying rattle, we origionally thought it was one (or both) of the bushes in the radius arm on the drivers side (it makes a noise when the drivers wheel hits a bump) so we changed the bushes, I did both radius arms, bushes front and back, while I was about it (for the benefit of the bushes post earlier, I used Hangovers 30tonne press and big impact sockets as drifts, what a job, the old ones didn`t want to come out.) fo those with very early land rovers make sure you get the right size bushes as well, 2 trips to lincoln for me cos Rimmer Bros sold me bushes for a later 90 (the later ones are wider by about half an inch). Anyhow, we fitted the new bushes but the noise remains, tho I have discovered that you can turn the wheel side to side (as if it were turning) which makes the same noise, as far as I can tell none the swivel isn`t moving, it kinda feels like the hub or something similar has come loose, any suggestions on what I should be looking for when I start trying to isolate the problem near the end of this week. Cheers All

WHULF
Don`t blindly follow where others lead, go you own way, and leave a trail. which, being in a Land Rover, will be of oil.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 19:20:08 »
When you say you can turn the wheel from side to side, do you mean the road wheel or the steering wheel ?

If it's the road wheel and the swivel housing isn't moving, then it's most likely a wheel bearing.

If it's the steering wheel, then the play could be in the drop arm, the steering rod ends or the swivel pins / bearings.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WHITE WHULF

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 19:45:32 »
yeah, its the road wheel that turns, only a fraction, but it is noticably, and there is a knocking noise when it does it.
Don`t blindly follow where others lead, go you own way, and leave a trail. which, being in a Land Rover, will be of oil.

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Noise
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 21:09:44 »
hey, this happened to me and it turned out to be the panhard rod bushes...
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

jayboy

knocking
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 09:32:56 »
hi i had same knock (see stop that knocking subjects ) i have changed all bushs front and back ,ball joints,cv,shocks,turrets,wheel bearings, swivel bearings prop ujs the list goes on still got the knock  :x told it might be the box and noise traveling down body  :?: ive given up for now let me know how it goes you might be able to fix mine  :D

Offline WHITE WHULF

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 14:01:15 »
we have located the problem, the track rod ends are both completely shot, hence the play in the steering, hoping to fit the new ones today or tomorrow, will let you know how it works out.

Offline WHITE WHULF

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 01:03:04 »
I have replaced both track rod ends and the play int he steering has gone, the annoying banging noise is still there. rats.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal