AuthorTopic: strange idle ?  (Read 689 times)

Offline edy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
strange idle ?
« on: March 08, 2008, 18:15:50 »
hi, i havent bee on here for a while, how you all doin?

well, i have a problem. i warn you now it could be confusing.  :lol:

right here it goes, when i start the rangie it goes up to about just over 2000rpm, then it sttles, but it settles very low, just over 500rpm, somtimes it will cut out (not so often now to be honest) or somtimes it will go right down the go up again then go down etc. then you rev it and somtimes it will settle at 2000rpm and not go down. when you put it in drive or reverse etc, the revs go right down (obviously), somtimes quite often when on a hill for instance in slow moving traffic, it will just cut out.

it is running on LPG by the way. and also i have just replaced the 3AM and that has made it slightly better. i was told to clean out the IACV so i did and someone saidadjust the base idle screw but i ciuldnt find it without a picture.

so any help would be gretly appriciated. cheers  :)
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: strange idle ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 19:17:47 »
Hi Edy, it will help if we know what year your range rover is and what fuel system it has, then what sort of LPG system you have fitted and how it is controlled.

Anyway, my genral advice is to get the thing running properly on petrol first, then worry about the LPG.  LPG is harder to burn so we need ot know if it's a probelm with the car or the conversion.

Also check the state of your battery, the Lucas hot-wire system will rasie the idle speed if it detects a low voltage during cranking or just after, so the raised idle doesn't immeadiately indicate a fault, though I suspect you have a sensor that's faulty.  I suggest you get hold of a copy of the Haynes manual and read the section on diagnosing EFi faults, assuming you have an EFi, then you can follow the test procedures contained therein if you have access to a multimeter and a little patience :)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline edy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 22:36:37 »
ahh ok, it is a 1992 EFI. not shure about the lpg its just controlled from a switch on the dash. i suspected it was a dodgy switch, i will have to test them :)   cheers
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:44:28 »
Ok cool, so it's Luca hot-wire, the later digital version with self-diagnostics and a rudimentary self-learning.  Next question, doe it have Lambda sensors? you should be able to see them on the downpipes, there will almost certainly be cats on the downpieps too.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal