AuthorTopic: p38 missing  (Read 1088 times)

Offline botts

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
p38 missing
« on: March 01, 2008, 18:50:21 »
hiya all
i have a p38 (BMW) that when its warm at tick over seems to be misfiring/sputtering (like fuel starvation) doesn't do it all the time but most any ideas would great

thanks in advance
cheers
Andy

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
Re: p38 missing
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 20:18:00 »
If you can get at the plug disconnect the electrical lead from No.4 injector (the only one with a wire).
This is the signal injector that tells the ECU what the injectors are doing; mine did something similar but while driving I would loose all power, enough to go into the seat belt, basically it was getting a wrong indication and trying to compensate by shutting the injection pump off.

With the lead disconnected you will get an engine fault indication on the dash but the ECU will assume a default value and run on that - I could not even tell the difference other than it ran properly.

If it is the problem you need a new injector; I only changed it as I didn't want it to mask a more serious fault but I did find a place that had a good price and sent a window socket out on loan included in the price.

By the way; testbook didn't help; it didn't see a fault as the injector hadn't failed as such it was just not giving a signal that caused problems. With the new injector in the dash light cleared without using testbook.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline BAZZ

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 20:20:21 »
Botts, could be air in the system have you checked the fuel filter and pipework. Even the return fuel lines on the injectors.  Thats assuming its a diesel.  Bazz. :lol:

Offline botts

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 21:46:50 »
just a thought to u guys in the know could the problem be the battery it seems to be very lazy does not like cranking the engine after standing over night could it be that  :huh:
cheers
Andy

Offline BAZZ

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 22:11:02 »
Botts, my little Pug 106 runs better with a good battery, so maybe it could be. Just had to get new battery for mine, 2.5 Dhse 01, £135. Good warranty with it though, doe's run better. Theres so much electronics runs of the battery. Ive known batteries go flat on p38's even when parked up Bazz. :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal