AuthorTopic: diy brake pipe advice  (Read 504 times)

Offline windowlicker

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
diy brake pipe advice
« on: February 21, 2008, 22:56:26 »
i need to replace my front to rear and rear axle brake pipes and rarther than pay
someone else to do it i would rarther buy a flaring kit and do it myself :-k

what i need to know is what size pipe 3/16"? and what fittings will i need as i would hate to buy a load and find out i got the wrong ones they are to go on a 300tdi with abs

cheers
kev
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 23:02:07 by windowlicker »

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: diy brake pipe advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 23:33:25 »
Buy the pipes ready made from local garage or automech  :-o
Cheap pipe tools are rubbish and for the price of a good one you need to use it regular
Apart from that when you have 2 1/4 ton of mixed metal travelling @ 70+ mph to stop  you need to be 100% confident  :shock:
I get mine done by a mate that charges 50p per flare, 50p per end if I supply the pipe  :lol:

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:56 »
The decent flare kits can be expensive, but if you try some local factors or garages, they can do the ends for you, best thing is to remove the old ones, for measurement and fitting compatibility, take them in and let them do it, a decent place should not charge you the eart for ding it, as you are only taking up a bit of their time, cause you are doing all the fitting

Unless you are planning to get into doing a load of brake work, its probably not worth buying a kit, or if you have a friend nearby who has the kit, diy, its not rocket science, and with a decent kit fairly easy, bit of practice, clean cuts and rub all the rough edges off with some fine emery paper first, make sure its clean to reduce contamination
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53:47 »
Hello chap, whatever any says it's not to hard to do, I can not for the live of me remeber what size the pipes or fittings are but I'll have a look when I get a chance, I have a kit that stays in the garage and it's invaluable. You always need a pipe on a sunday afternoon or when you're out laning or away for the weekend.

I personally would recomend one for any serious DIY car modifier as it's easy to damage a pipe and a hassle to borrow a car to go and get some made up.

Try a web search to find if it's metric or imperial fittings, and make a few practice ones up and have them chaecked at a friendly garage or a knowledgable friend.

Regards

Andi K
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 22:00:39 »
The pipe is 3/16" and the fittings are 10mm fine thread. Any flaring tool will be able to do both single and double flare pipe ends. Don't forget to put the fitting on the pipe before flaring it - that's sooooo funny when you forget!  :(

Les.

Offline bigwood

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 15:34:44 »
Just done the caliper pipes on my Disco. The faring tool I borrowed was a Clarke from machine mart, it worked but I wasn't too happy about the finish. It may have been me out of pratice. The fittings I needed came from Partco, I could only buy a tub of fifty. For a fiver trade price etc I now have a life time supply. Any one out there know were I can get the little pastic clips that separate the steels where they run in pairs. Also I need a full set of bleed nipples, the nearside front are three  rusty lumps of metal. :roll:
Old Landrovers dont die they just fade to a red oxide colour.

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 00:55:41 »
cheers for the advice and as luck has it ive found a flaring kit at work today ive also been told just to use the old fittings which i supose if they come off okay should be fine (if being the key word!)

to be honest i have made up brake pipes in the past but that was like ten years ago when i was a trainee mechanic on an off road course so im confident that i wont endanger anybody especially my three and a half children. i was just unsure on pipe & fitting sizes

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:20:47 »
My flaring kit was cheap - about £15 and works fine.

The last time someone at a factors put the ends on for me, one of them blew out under pressure up on the MOT ramp. I was less than impressed! As I've known the lads there for 15 years or so, I borrowed their kit to re-make it, bled it while still on the ramp and passed anyway. Datsun 260Z that was. Only glass in it at the time were the front & rear screens.
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal