AuthorTopic: little update on my 200 commercial  (Read 597 times)

Offline winx

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
little update on my 200 commercial
« on: January 24, 2008, 20:56:08 »
As I had a decent break over Christmas decided to spend some time on the disco.

Along with a service I fitted an egt display from Si at X-Eng, I was going to wait for a few months before buying one but having wasted over half an hour of his time just before christmas chatting away about all things land rover I thought I better get one bought now!

I work in the same building as our prototype department so managed to get some thermocouples from them, the first is quite long so is bent back and the tip is right up at the beginning of the manifold.  Decided this was the best place to mount it so took off the manifold and made an egr plate like the 300's have:

As I had quite a few I decided to put 2 more in, one in the airbox and one in the inlet manifold so I can see how much the turbo is heating the air.  I need to sort some sort of switch to go between the 3 thermocouples, anyone got any ideas?

I had also noticed that the airbox to turbo hose was well past it's best so again raided the prototype boys for some silicone hose, damned if I was going to pay £80 plus vat for a land rover one!

Also bolted on my ebay aircon compressor ready for on board air. 

Next job is to try and source the bottom pulley and tensioner, but again don't really want to pay landrover prices for them!!

Then onto mounting the EGT monitor in the dash.  I have already got a pc screen and a few other bits and bobs so the only place left was between the vents, luckily it fits perfectly!

And finally decided to remake the centre console with some drinks holders, fed up of bottles flying around the cab!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: little update on my 200 commercial
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 21:13:31 »
Given the (lack of )strength of the thermocouple signal I'd suggest a gold plated switch like you'd find in audio equipment or Hi-Fi.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Disco_Stu

Attack Member
  • Any chance of a tow...?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 21:16:34 »
Wow @ your console. Will it do warp 8?

Stu  :lol:
1994 300Tdi Disco    

Snorkel now complete.... http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=1906&highlight=

Guardian.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 21:23:08 »
LOOKS WELL GROOVY

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 21:26:17 »
Given you have some knowledge of electronics.

DG411DY will do it.

You want an analog -=>RS232 box to hook it up to your PC, can give you 8 inputs ;)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline winx

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 22:07:48 »
thanks guys, space shuttles have been mentioned when I gave someone a lift the other day!

Given you have some knowledge of electronics.

DG411DY will do it.
You want an analog -=>RS232 box to hook it up to your PC, can give you 8 inputs ;)

I did electronics at GCSE but have forgotten almost all of it now!  Will look into the chip as it seems an interesting option.  I thought about monitoring the tcouples from the pc but decided against it, I found an interface in one of the parts bins at work that would interface with the pc and give something silly 100 inputs but decided that was just a little overkill!

Will let you know how I get on!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 18:12:48 »
Tis a 4 pole analog switch, you can drive it with digital inputs so you can still use a switch, this just means you'll keep the thermocouple leads short.

Have something similar (but not) in mine all done through a singl;e touchscreen. Used a laptop so the power privision is simple and removable.

Software is all my own and the analog units are bespoke with my own software. Seriously, PM me, doesnt cost a lot to bosh these things together and would hapilly provide one and software in exchange for other goodies. Als means you dont need to switch anything.

I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline winx

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 21:35:22 »
Sorry for taking so long to reply, the notifier thing has changed settings...

pm on the way!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal