AuthorTopic: Transfer Box - an easy change?  (Read 345 times)

Offline stuntman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Transfer Box - an easy change?
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:35:03 »
Hello again from me, well another question to follow (I have tried the search function  :afro:)

Can anyone tell me if the transfer box is a straight forward job, I need to swap mine at some stage as there is alot of play in the front output shaft and in the front diff,

I'll be swapping the diff when it goes bang or in a couple of months, whichever comes first!

So I was just wondering who has any experience of this swap? And is a fairly straightforward?

Truck is a 200 tdi disco...

Thanks everyone

Andi K
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
Re: Transfer Box - an easy change?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:03:56 »
Very easy to swop from a technical point of view just a little awkward and heavy lay on your back... but as you have a 200TDI J reg Disco if its still on its original box dont worry you'll strip the output splines on the main box long before the transfer box gives up :)

Joking aside its worth removing the inspection plate first and having a look in case the whole box needs changing if its not been x-drilled

Cheers Steve

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:24:50 »
Hello Steve, thanks for the quick response. Can you confirm what x-drilling is? I'm still a Newbie really, I'm learning quickly, mainly that disco's rot!, but that's a new one on me :)
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:09 »
Stuntman

X drilling of the T/box input gear allows the oil to flow through the splines between it & the output shaft of the main gearbox.
Early lt230 t/box's input gear were not x drilled & the fretting corrosion (due to lack of oil) worn the splines on the main gearbox output shaft causing totally failure of drive.

Look http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_4.html  &  http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_28.html for more info  ;) :afro:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:39:38 by L90OOK »
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal