AuthorTopic: Message Center  (Read 1234 times)

Offline waveydavey

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Message Center
« on: January 05, 2008, 16:40:09 »
Please does anybody know anything about dash lighting?

The message center on my P38 is now dark on the left hand side; does it have two lamps to illuminate it and if so does anybody know how hard they are to change?
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline wills

Attack Member
Re: Message Center
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:56:04 »
Please does anybody know anything about dash lighting?

The message center on my P38 is now dark on the left hand side; does it have two lamps to illuminate it and if so does anybody know how hard they are to change?

Dead easy to change and the message centre is lit with three bulbs.

To replace, drop the panel above the drivers knees and then remove instrument binnacle surround.  Using a super long reach philips screwdriver (you will need a long one and not one made of extenstions) unscrew the 4 screws holding the instrument cluster in, unplug the two connectors from the front and then remove binnacle (while the binnacle is out DO NOT have the key in the ignition at all so you dont set off the SRS warning lamp).

Rest the binnacle face down on something soft so you dont scratch the front.  When you look at the back you will clearly see the bulb(s) you need to replace.  You will need 3 of them if you plan to replace just the message centre bulbs.  Their part number is RTC3635.  If you plan to go the whole way and replace every bulb in the binnacle as I did when I had it apart then you will need at least 21 of RTC3635 (only a few pence each from the dealer) and at least 3 of 573289 for the three big bulbs in the binnacle.

Once the bulbs are replaced, put the binnacle back in place and make sure its sitting correctly and then tighten the screws a little.  Plug both connections back in and then check all the new bulbs work.  If they do great, go ahead and finish up, if not have it back out and check you have got the bulbs seated properly in their holders.

good luck

-Wills :)

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
Re: Message Center
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 18:04:43 »
Cheers Mate;

Finally got the bulbs and done it today, two of them were gone on the message center so it's loads better.

Took your advise and done the lot; seems silly not to when it's out really.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal