AuthorTopic: steering damper  (Read 1470 times)

Offline didirangerover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • bit mucky in thetford
  • Referrals: 0
steering damper
« on: December 28, 2007, 13:31:44 »
I've spoken to a friendly mechanic after experiencing sudden onset road vibration and looking under 'Rusty' and he reckons my steering damper has dumped all it's hydraulic fluid. Looking at it you can see that the protective plastic sleeve has come away completely and there is no real evidence of any seals left!
I've been advised that the local scrappy has them for about 15 quid but want advice on how easy it is to change one from someone who isn't necessarily a mechanic!!
what should i be looking at on a second hand one which would give indications of wear and tear before I buy?
1989 Rangerover with dihatsu 2.8 engine and no mot
1982 RR with my original 200Tdi from my first RR

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
John.

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
steering damper
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 14:00:07 »
Changing the damper is an easy peasy job, unless the existing one is rusted on and then you'll need to grind the bolts off.

After that it's just a case of placing the new one betwen the holes and tigtening the new nuts up. I just put my rangie on wheel ramps so I could lye under the front to do it.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
steering damper
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 18:38:27 »
As above, should be simple spanner work  :wink:
Local auto factors could save on post  8)
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
steering damper
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 19:17:55 »
Replacement is easy.  Just undo the nuts securing the old damper at either end.  If they are siezed you will either need to cut them off with an angle grinder or split the nut with a nut splitter (cheaper option if you need to buy anything!).  Then it is just a case of slotting in the new one between the mounting points and tightening up the new nuts.  I would recommend a new one for two reasons, you don't know what conditions the seals are in within the damper and if the nuts are siezed on yours then they could well be seized on the scrappy one!
Good luck and watch your eyes for falling dirt whilst underneath.

Guardian.

steering damper
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 19:48:40 »
do not buy a used steering damper, what a total waste of time, even a half decent new one isnt that dear, but a crap cheap one will definately be better than one off a scrap motor, and no dearer.

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
Re: steering damper
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 18:20:49 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;DHe he see it's not only Dad that tells you the local mechanic is useless !!!!

It should be easy as everyone is saying, but jack it up and have a wiggle of the wheels to make sure nothing is loose first !
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline didirangerover

Attack Member
  • bit mucky in thetford
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 14:29:49 »
thanks guys for all your great advice.  I have a new one on order from paddocks for 20 quid including delivery.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 14:43:47 »
Before you put it on... make sure you move it through it's extremes of movement to prime it. I didn't once and it was worse than useless!

Just be careful taking the storage wire off... there is usually a fair bit of power behind it!

Skibum

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 15:42:19 »
It's a very straightforward job to fit.  Whilst you're waiting for the new one you might want to spray some WD40 on the threads of the old one so the bolts are nice and easy to undo.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 23:40:26 »
It's a very straightforward job to fit.  Whilst you're waiting for the new one you might want to spray some WD40 on the threads of the old one so the bolts are nice and easy to undo.
See it's useful stuff like this that you might not think of that makes this club a god send  :clap:
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 17:19:12 »
 :roll: :roll:Well is it done ? Has it fixed the problem ? Any more questions ?

In the time over Christmas my RR has had the seats out, floor out, props off, gearbox out, new gearbox in, props back on, floor back in, seats back in and delivered a parcel to Ben in Kendal for his birthday !!! :-k :-k :-k

Come on daughter what are you doing !

1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline didirangerover

Attack Member
  • bit mucky in thetford
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 14:46:55 »
Hi dad
steering damper is on. Old one came off no problems and new one went on. Quite possibly the only "simple" job on Rusty that has ever been simple!!!!
Got to fix the passenger electric window now cos it's not going right to the top!!! Got card wedged in it at the moment!
Given up on my diesel experiment. the landrover mag has an article showing how to do it the right way..... now where to get methanol from to mix with my veg oil??!!
Got to get a new bit for the aerial too now the bloody car park barrier ripped mine off. It's sporting a plastic bag at the moment to keep the weather out!

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 14:59:00 »
Hi dad
steering damper is on. Old one came off no problems and new one went on. Quite possibly the only "simple" job on Rusty that has ever been simple!!!!
Got to fix the passenger electric window now cos it's not going right to the top!!! Got card wedged in it at the moment!
Given up on my diesel experiment. the landrover mag has an article showing how to do it the right way..... now where to get methanol from to mix with my veg oil??!!
Got to get a new bit for the aerial too now the bloody car park barrier ripped mine off. It's sporting a plastic bag at the moment to keep the weather out!

Didi, I've been running my pajero on veg oil 60/40 now for about two years and never needed to add anything to it. I just increase the amount of diesel to veg when the weather is really cold. Cant speak for rangies cos i got a petrol  :roll: Are they less tolerent of veg oil then /
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline didirangerover

Attack Member
  • bit mucky in thetford
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 15:30:00 »
is that 60% veg oil or 60%dinofuel?
was running my 200TDi on a 30% veg oil mix which it seems to like but I'm worried about going any higher as the veg oil gets gloopy at a higher temp than diesel and I don't want to bung the injectors up with gloop if the temp drops overnight

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal