AuthorTopic: Which Springs?  (Read 730 times)

Offline L90OOK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Somerset
  • Referrals: 0
Which Springs?
« on: November 15, 2007, 19:11:59 »
Hi

I have just bought a 90 soft top to tow the boat throw diving & shooting gear in.
I want to fit some new springs as it's sagging well. Doesn't need to be OME springs as not intending to do great things with it...it's a 2.5NAD (going to have a 200tdi at some point.
Doesn't need a lift & sticking to 235/85 size tyres.
It will have a winch (possibly an 8274) & bumper put on too.
I'm looking at putting the RRC HD Red & White springs all round.
Anyone use this? Is it a good starting point?
Cheers  8)
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 19:15:57 »
How about normal Land Rover ones?  My mate fitted R/W's and it made it sit up at the front, looked stupid.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Springs?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 19:22:13 »
Yeah but I am fitting a winch too so should bring the front back down again  :?

Offline Eightpot

Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 19:27:27 »
The standard springs are well made and will last a long time. You could try heavy duty springs if you're towing and throwing bottles in the back.

I've just replaced my springs (on a 90) with heavy duty rears and 110 front springs which are a little stiffer under load but still compliant normally.

It's a good testament to OE kit that the springs that came off my ex mod 90, are probably original and from 1986, been abused by squadies, abused by me including a thousand miles over Moroccan corrugations loaded to the hilt, several long range European off roading trips and the usual stuff in the UK - when they came off for replacement I put them next to the new springs and they were exactly the same length with only a 8mm difference in height when fitted.  Can't grumble at that for £20 a corner.

rears are NRC9462/9463  and the 110 fronts are NRC8044/8045 - I'm very pleased using the 110 fronts, can't tell any difference unde normal driving but they should hold up a bit better next time I have to load up.

PS - you'll probably find RR red/whites a bit to soft on a 90 - they have a lower rating than standard 90 rears.

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 19:29:33 »
Mine had a winch before i bought it, It was on from new but hasn't got fancy springs on, i s'pose they might be h/d springs but I doubt it.  I'd leave the existing ones on and see how they do.......  if they can't handle the winch then change them.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 21:12:06 »
Quote from: "Eightpot"

PS - you'll probably find RR red/whites a bit to soft on a 90 - they have a lower rating than standard 90 rears.

As said above red/whites will be soft and with give you lots of roll on road on a 90.

If it helps I fitted, these LR springs to my 90 (with a front winch)..

* NRC9448 Blue/Red 15.31" 225 lbs/inch on rear
    * NRC9449 Yellow/White 14.80" 225 lbs/inch on front

To have the rear level I turned the spring cups round on rear and fitted RR rubber isolators to top of spring. I measured it all again to see what lift there was compared to when it was stock..

RH Rear 52.3cm now 54.8cm
    LH Rear 50.4cm now 54.8cm

RH Front 52.3cm now 53.9cm
    LH Front 51cm now 53.9cm

Rear is slightly higher, which is fine for me when I have all recovery gear etc loaded into the back. If you wanted it level just using the RR rubber isolator on the rears would do it.

Cheers

Steve

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Springs?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 21:25:23 »
Steve

Thats great thank you.
Do you have a part No. for the RR rubber isolators?
Cheers  8)

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 21:52:23 »
Quote from: "L90OOK"
Steve

Thats great thank you.
Do you have a part No. for the RR rubber isolators?
Cheers  8)

ANR2938

Cheers

Steve

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Springs?
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 21:57:14 »
Steve

You are a gent.  Many thanks

I know what my Xmas pressies are this year!

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 18:41:53 »
my 90 has some springs in which are absolutely rock solid and are doing my nut in. its great on the road but off it is very rough.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Springs?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 20:20:15 »
what are they??

Offline Eightpot

Attack Member
Which Springs?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:09:38 »
there's a very usefull spring database that someone has put together - appologies to the author but I'm not sure who - http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html
might be of use .

my personal thoughts are that as a minimum use OE springs, which are progressive (soft on the first coil or two, then stiffen under load) and use good quality shocks to control the defection.

I haven't used them, and after consideration wouldn't use the Britpart springs or any of the other cheapo makes as they aren't even progressive and can cost more or equal to OE. To me, being progressive and of good quality material is a key attribute and holding shape under load and for a period of time is the most important thing.  Quality of the ride is controlled by the shocks - I've used terra-firm from frogs island and am pleased so far, I'll let you know how they performed when I get back from Libya next month.  To be fair as well tho, the standard woodhead shocks I took off when I upgraded were battered but by no means finished, have taken some serious abuse and frankly if sprayed metalic gold with some nice stickers on would be the next big thing if marketed correctly.

Offline gt.jacko

Attack Member
re springs
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 17:34:55 »
I am using the red white rangie springs on my 90 have a winch and bumper fitted it sits level also have ome heavy duty shocks fitted all round plus dropped shock mounts front and rear, I find the ride harder then the standard springs i took off but not too soft so it rolls on corners overall I,m happy with the way it performs on rd and off. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal