AuthorTopic: Which Seats??  (Read 2700 times)

Offline L90OOK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Somerset
  • Referrals: 0
Which Seats??
« on: November 14, 2007, 20:41:26 »
I have just bought an old 90 soft top with RRC seats.
I want to swop the seats for smaller seats...what have you all put in yours?
I may just put some vinyl seats back in.
Must have removable base too!  8)
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 20:51:38 »
If the removabnle base is a must then you will are probably just as well sourcing some original ones.
I don't need the base to lift on mine and being a tall chap, I quite like the slight lift and extra leg-room I get off my Recaro seats. They wouldn't be suitable for everyone, indeed my wife who is only 5ft 4in finds it very difficult to depress the clutch fully.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline paradigm shift

Attack Member
    • Ventnor, Isle of Wight
Which Seats??
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:32:11 »
A mate of mine recently bought a 90 with shredded seats and opted to retrim them with the proper vinyl and foam kit. Gotta say I'm really impressed with how they came out. Nice and supportive. Of course you've still got the benefit of removable bases and they fit straight in. Will be doing the same to mine when I've seen what black vinyl is like in the summer  :lol:

Offline gnasha

Attack Member
  • Member No 1720
    • kettering
Which Seats??
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:42:26 »
we are thinking of putting our RRC rear seats in our's as seen on here somewere wont need to get under seats "although u can" as putting second tank on for veg oil

Click our banner above to visit our forum
200tdi Landrover 90 200tdi disco what's left of it lol
http://gnasha1.talk4fun.net/ http://www.gnasha1.co.uk/ http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gnasha/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:56:18 »
I have got RRC seats in the 110 and they are rather comfortable would highly recommend them

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Seats??
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:01 »
Only trouble is the RRC seats raise the seating heigth.  As I'm a big fella I need to lower back down to normal height.
Also being a soft top they will get wet...especially when I am out diving & shooting.
Going for some nice black vinyl one!  :lol:

Offline kourgath

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 18:49:36 »
I put P38 leccy leather seats in my 90, I'm 6ft2 (with a long back), a slight trim on the bulkhead, a trim of the seatbox. OK they are higher than standard but have no problems.

Did have some Corbeau LeMans in before that (gave them to a mate) originals went into the back with special mounts to fold up- but I still have the original centre seat in the garage:-0 no idea why.

My motor is a soft top, got some waterproof covers and they seem to do fine.  Just got to get the heater elements working for that toasty back/bum in the winter.

Cheers
Gavin
Cheers
Gavin/kourgath      Lara = 4.6EFI V8 90 with P38 leccy seats - coz people told me I couldn't

There is a difference between knowing the path and driving the path

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 18:58:03 »
I got some bucket seats from ebay, that have the land rover logo on them (paddocks i think)

They are a bit of an aarse to get in and out of, but once you are in they are well good  :D
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Seats??
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 19:02:21 »
I don't fit in the bucket seats  :lol:

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 19:14:46 »
A mate of mine put Rover 214sei seats in his, half leather recliners, the seat is quite shallow, i think it might actually be a fraction lower than the originals.......
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 19:17:20 »
I don't fit in the bucket seats

There is more room in mine now i have them in believe it or not....

Im 6"6, and pushing 17 stone...
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline kourgath

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 20:12:38 »
Just realised that the ones I gave to a mate were actually the ones after the corbeau (which came from a Audi 80 Sport and had a "made by Recaro" on the bottom), they were from a rover 220 coupe. Got em for 20quid on ebay local collection.

Used the original runners and made a simple/low mount by cutting off much of the rover mount and welding on some angle.

So mine has had original->Corbeau->Rover 220->P38.  Corbeau were the best in terms of support the P38's are like sofas.

Cheers
Gavin
Cheers
Gavin/kourgath      Lara = 4.6EFI V8 90 with P38 leccy seats - coz people told me I couldn't

Offline redhand

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 20:28:54 »
Quote from: "kourgath"
Just realised that the ones I gave to a mate were actually the ones after the corbeau (which came from a Audi 80 Sport and had a "made by Recaro" on the bottom), they were from a rover 220 coupe. Got em for 20quid on ebay local collection.

Used the original runners and made a simple/low mount by cutting off much of the rover mount and welding on some angle.

So mine has had original->Corbeau->Rover 220->P38.  Corbeau were the best in terms of support the P38's are like sofas.

Cheers
Gavin
I did the same with a pair of Vauxhall Senator CD seats full leather £20. Best seats ever.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline kourgath

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 21:49:50 »
So I guess the answer to the first question is really  -go to your local car dismantler see what they got, take a tape measure, if the top of the seat to the bottom of the lowest part of the seat (not mounts) is less than 3 inches then it will fit. If more eg P38 was 4inch on it's lowest setting, you'll need to cut and shut.  

Width measure your existing seats, get rid of the middle seat move your new seat over a bit which puts you inline with the steering wheel.

Get a smaller wheel, Mountney do the bits, had a tvr cerbera wheel on for a while til I broke it at an RTV, now it's a scarred Momo from ebay at a fiver.

Senator, Omega, some Rover, some Volvo, Saab, Audi, BMW sports, all can be made to fit without huge problems. P38's needed the seatbox modded (jig saw, pop-rivets and a drill).

It's all down to how much you want to spend and how much you want to fiddle.

I'm a Fiddler as those who know Lara will tell you...
Cheers
Gavin/kourgath
Cheers

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Which Seats??
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 22:00:52 »
Think I am going to try & get some leather sport seats & see how they fit. :lol:
Will keep you posted...thanks for all the advice  8)

Offline muck_truck

Attack Member
Which Seats??
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 22:59:06 »
almost any seat will fit, but you may loose the center seat and cubby box if they are wider.

Ive just fitted some heated leather seats out of a volvo 960.  They are a little too big really but comfy and toasty warm  :D  and cost me 21 quid from ebay.

I had to cut inch and half of the runners, drill a couple more holes in the seat box and disable the side air bags but im glad i did.  Even though the standard seats are comfy these offer more support and you dont slide round everywhere.  I also made a new cubby box to fit in the gap.

if i was looking now id try and find some seats out of a coupe/3 door as the seats will tilt forward and the backs tend to be slimmer. ive got a aux fuse box and stuff so need access behind the seats easily.

I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow if it stops raining.
Dan.

Defender 90 200Tdi
www.muckytruckin.co.uk

Offline redhand

Attack Member
Re: Which Seats??
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:22 »
My mate has a set of maestro sport bucket seats which he's planning to put in a morris minor. They are the exact same subframe as a defender the only thing that is missing is the mounting lugs that stick out of the end of the sliding rails.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 11:34:02 »
I have followed this thread and was at one point shopping the market for bucket or sports recliners but now decided to chicken out by sticking with Defender seats.

I like the original seat for comfort, and the convenience of the removal bases. I test fitted a narrow cobra sports recliner and it felt totally wrong no matter what position, modifying the rails to suit and loss of easy access to the seat boxes doesn't seem like worth the effort. Sat in my mates 110 with his XR3i sports recliners and although comfortable seats my knees where hitting the steering column, was sitting about 3 inches higher than normal and was quite difficult to get out off. Retaining the easy access to the seat box is relevant to me as I have plans of fitting a MOD style underseat tank to the driver side as part of veg oil conversion, these tanks are filled from the top by removing the seat base (I have a CSW so fitting a 90 tank with neck filler is not a valid option).

So seeing my only gripe with my Defender seats is that they are dog eaten and stuffed with rags to fill out the missing foam I has thus ordered from Exmoor Trim a pair of retrim kits to replace the knacked foam bases and backs and a new covering of vinyl.

The seat are currently CSW cloth and we hate them and have always preferred the look and feel of the black vinyl defender trim, which is just as well as vinyl is the cheapest trim.

I am also considering getting a mudrail for the driver seat to gain more leg room.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:40:55 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:55 »
don't bother with the mudrails just buy some box section for a fraction of the price and make your own.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 11:51:39 »
I did the Range Rover Rear seat thing....Armrests , comfort etc etc (must be getting old :) )

and the added advantage with rear seats is I retain the 60/40 split so can still access the underseat battery box :)

some early trial fit pics, 9 months on still very happy although as said you do lose some space and sit higher although the 5ft 2" good lady loves it cos she can see over the bonnet a lot easier, fine for me at 5'10"... although I have a smaller wheel as well.

more details on the site...

Cheers Steve
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:53:38 by electricbluebadger »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 13:32:11 »
don't bother with the mudrails just buy some box section for a fraction of the price and make your own.

nah, I like plug and play and they are quite cheap for time and effort.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline biggerlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 13:57:09 »
mr2 seats go in a treat low etc very comfy
just get muddy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal