AuthorTopic: Leaking Defenders  (Read 282 times)

Offline L90OOK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Somerset
  • Referrals: 0
Leaking Defenders
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:19:50 »
A mate of mine has a 55plate 110 XS.  He bought it 12months old with 2,000miles on clock from Matford Land Rover Exeter.  It now 2years old with 6,000miles on it  :roll:
Ever since he has owned it there has been a water leak from the roof.
It has been back three times to sort out water leak...
1st time it came back with a load of silicone stuffed around the roof/windscreen area, looked like a 2 year old had done it!  Surfice to say he took it back to have the silicone sorted...& it still leaked!
2nd time it went back to sort water problem... it returned, silicone tied up as good as, if not better than new, well done \:D/ .  However...when he went to pick it up they had had the windscreen out & used a screw driver to prise the windscreen rubber out.  They did this against the VIN plate so it looks like it has been stolen  ](*,)
Ok so third time lucky...NO!!
It went back last week to have new VIN plate & sort water leak again.
Gets the phone call to pick it up...Went to collect...first thing he noticed was the bonnet, wing & corner of bulkhead had been scratched from what looks like a pressure washer hose dragged across it...probably wouldn't have noticed  but its a gloss black 110  :roll: Having a better look at the scratches he noticed two scratches on the bonnet had been touched-up badly with a touch up brush  :shock: ...oh yeah the water leak...they said no fault found...they couldn't make it leak  :roll:
So...having spoken to the service manager etc about damage etc he start driving home...got 50 yards out of Matfords forecourt, stamped on the breaks...he was a little annoyed by this time  :lol: ..& water poured out of the roof, down the inside of the screen behind the ash tray & out of the fuse box  :evil:
Surfice to say it is going back again...(It's about a 100 mile round trip every time it goes back) to have the roof removed, head lining changed, bonnet resprayed & wing if they can't polish the other scratches out  :shock:  :evil:
His expectations are not high for it's condition on return, or that the faults are sorted.  
I must state that Matfords subcontrat the work...he only found this out on returning it the third time!

Now, my friend is an MOT tester & has recently been on a refresher course...a chap from another well known west country Landy dealer just happened to be on the same course.  He said that the water leak is very common on new Landy's as the jig used to make the roof are pre-defender & very worn.  LR are not going to replace the jigs as Defender production will end in 2010 & it's cheaper for them to do any warranty work than replace the jigs  :evil:

Thank heavens I am rebuilding my 110 not replacing it with a newer one...that the Road Fund Licence cost twice as much!! :evil:  :evil:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline sleepy straven

Attack Member
Leaking Defenders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 13:19:15 »
good to know that someone elses does it too. The babybus leaks like a sive. in the morning after a really wet night I normally have to empty the floor mat out. When I first got the 110 it had carpets fitted but I soon began to wonder where the damp smell was coming from. You could wring the carpets out hence I removed them and fitted rubber mats. It is also good to hear that there is in fact a proper reason. I just put it down to all Landrovers leak
had a 90 hard top till it fell on it's head. Now have a 110 CSW

Offline Jimbo

Attack Member
Leaking Defenders
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 16:04:33 »
I have an electronic copy of a LR document entitled..........

"Defender Water Ingress - Service Rectification Processes"  :shock:

It explains where all the leaks are, where the water *actually* is getting in to the vehicle, and how to stop said leaks - silicone sealer and dum-dum are the chosen methods of leak fixing !!!!!

PM me your email addys if you'd like a copy
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal