AuthorTopic: Next time I'll use a genuine part...  (Read 281 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Next time I'll use a genuine part...
« on: August 31, 2007, 13:57:05 »
Off work today for one reason and another.

Jumped in the car to go retreive food and pills, turn the keys

Starts, followed byt Rattle rattle clatter BANG! rattle stop Beeeep! Beeeep! followed by 'ECU FAULT' on the dash  :?

Went to look what the rattle is and noticed the Dizzy cap is sat at an 'interesting angle. Pull it off and low and behold, rotor arm in 4 bits. Nothing to damage under there thankfully so new rotor arm retreieved from Portsmouth Audi (cable tie used to bodge old arm) who had never heard of this happening before, when I mentioned it came from a well known motoring chain he didnt seem surprised and reccomended I order a genuine Bosch or Audi dizzy cap too. Still a genuine part is £5 as opposed to £2.45 for the one I had on there. I know next time.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline thermidorthelobster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Next time I'll use a genuine part...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 15:11:30 »
I've been told by a few people to stick to genuine parts if it's a Bosch rotor arm;  the copies look perfectly OK but tend to fail, sometimes in a non-obvious way, which can leave you tearing your hair out.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal