AuthorTopic: Discovery Exhaurst !!!!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline katenrob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« on: August 15, 2007, 16:51:50 »
I have fitted a stainless exhaurst to my 200Tdi but i dont like how far away it sits from the body(Bumper) plus there is know diffrence in sound which i was hoping for. So ive been thinking about having the exhaurst outlet coming out of side wing and removing the rear exhaurst box.
Has anyone done this and have some photo,s and info plus do you think it may be to loud by removing the back box and having it come out of the side rear wing. The exhaurst is second hand so its not going to get any louder.
Any help would be greatfull

Offline doris

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 19:31:33 »
Hi Katenrob

Can't help on the side exit idea, although that is on my list to do too, but I can report that removing the rear box makes a difference to the sound emitted........  just enough to make it sound more sporty, but not enough to be intrusive/illegal.

I know this because I have been running mine without a rear box since it fell off until recently!

Damon
'93 Disco v8 LPG

Offline fezzy192

Attack Member
  • THERES NOTHING BETTER IN LIFE THAN THE GREEN OVAL
    • birmingham
side exhaust
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 19:47:02 »
i,m gonna be having a go at mine on my range and then on my disco when done will post pics
i think some one has some pics on here already

Offline katenrob

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 19:49:54 »
Thanks for the replay. Ive been thinking out doing it for a long time but wanted to look at one already done  but not seen one as yet. Hopfully someone will post some pics so i will have a better idea.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 20:05:52 »
it depends on what other silencers are on the system, but yes, will probably increase th noise!

careful wherre you place it, as dont forget what comes out of a diesel exhaust!

...memories of a derv rover which lost a back box, all underneath, round the boot lining, lights etc - black!  :lol:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline peasey

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 21:54:36 »
mate i have seen this done im sure by a fella on here looked so good i was going to have a go myself but lacked the bottle required let me know how you get on mate as im really interested in how to do it!p.s. pukka picture at the bottom of your post!!!
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Offline katenrob

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 22:44:07 »
I,m going to have a good look this weekend at what pipe work will be needed plus angles also try and find some sort of trim for the hole. May take me sometime to do it but it will be worth it.
Glad you like the photo , it was taken on the old coach road near keswick cumbria

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 00:56:36 »
I missed on on Flea aby that had no solencers at all and no cat.  The seller said it sounded louder than standard :shock:

No kidding
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Lyndsey731

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:46:49 »
Scorpion Racing do the the stainless steel trim.

Good luck

Gav

Offline ian101

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:58 »
Got this done on mine a couple of months ago, but I have not noticed any real difference in noise without the backbox (but idid not do it to create more noise).

I bought anew and supposedly hand made end piece from an exaust maker in Rochdale but this was clearly not the right size and so had to be butchered to fit, my advice would be to seek the skills of a skilled fabricator (landy mechanic) and get it knocked up from old exhaust, the very end is just a piece of stainless with a roll top.

Snip the hole in the rear panel with some snips and then fasten a Devon 4x4 exhaust ring on.

I have my boost valve turned up and I think these engines 'over fuel' by design so it does get smokey when I put my foot down in 2nd, but if you're aware of this you just accelerate gently (or smoke out the twit in the comvertable)

Will try and post some pics later, but I would say get it done....Plus it improves the departure angle when off-road, so its win-win.

Regards
Ian
If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 13:47:08 »
Yep I did this 18 months ago. It makes just a little difference to noise, mostly in the turbo whistle you can hear at the back. But I did mine because it kept getting crushed against the rear x-member.
I used a hole cutter then welded an old bend I had laying around. It works very well, for a freebie.

Cheers
DEANO

Offline doris

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 18:21:22 »
I knew I had seen it somewhere........

This guy does a kit for this mod, and there are photos of fitting it here....

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page10.html  

I don't know the guy, and have never used him, so no recommendation implied, but haven't heard or read anything negative about him either.

Hope it helps

Damon
'93 Disco v8 LPG

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 19:16:52 »
The rear 'silencer' is actually a resonator. Some people have said that the noise at higher revs is annoying. Normally people remove the centre silencer and leave the resonator in place, which makes a much better sound.

Les.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 19:24:40 »
Done it on my v8 used a lenght of flexi exhurst pipe as it was the easy way to do it so pics linked here. http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/gtomo2/gallery/080707
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 19:57:48 »
Yep done mine a while back, bit noisy though.

Chopped of the back box and a bit of the pipe, added in a meter of flexy pipe and a couple of exhaust clamps.
Still got a bit of 53mm ID  flexyif someone needs it.

regards
wizard :twisted:

Offline peasey

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 20:01:09 »
im going to do this on mine now i have got some pictures and can see how its done but just a couple of questions first as i know [!Expletive Deleted!] all about exhausts. 1,will it pass an mot like that? 2 where do you get the flexy exhaust?
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 02:24:11 »
Hello all :wink:

I bit the bullet and had a stainless steel exhorts made for mine several months ago it’s a 200 tdi  it worked out at 2 and half inch diameter. And sounds like the devil letting rip with a good fart on full load and I love it. It has passed a mot with no problems at all, and on tick over the man at the mot station was very happy with it. I did let out a massive sigh of relief because the wife would have grabbed my fluffy bit because it cost £250 plus the dreaded vat fitted. :cry:

BUT WHAT I WILL SAY IS THERE ARE NO SILENCERS ON THE EXHORTS AT ALL. :twisted:  :twisted:

It passed a mot no problem sounds like the devil on a bad day, whistles like a Mack truck on the overrun and I love it. :wink:  But that just make me a very naughty boy.  I will only make small ripples in this world but who said I was going to do it quietly. :lol:

The pest will always make waves but tsunamis are for the big man upstairs. :roll:

All the best Arightpest

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:49:36 »
Most good motor factors or custon 'zaust places will have some flexy knocking about.
The stuff cost roughly £15 a meter

wizard :twisted:

Offline peasey

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:46 »
sorry to hijack this thread even further but just one last question! All the fellas that have done this have got diesels will it be ok to do on a petrol v8?
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 13:21:00 »
Our V8 had no back box when we got it and I was told the mid box was from a TDi.

I got sick of the noise eventually and fitted a decnt S/H exhaust.

Noiw it's got a sports pipe and that sounds nice but funnily the LSE has the same sports pipe but sounds a whole lot quieter :?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 08:42:10 »
Quote from: "peasey"
sorry to hijack this thread even further but just one last question! All the fellas that have done this have got diesels will it be ok to do on a petrol v8?

Mine is a v8 and has a side exit and no back box   :wink:
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline peasey

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 18:08:12 »
great then work will comence very soon so watch this space :D  :D
HIT IT AND HIT IT HARD

Offline katenrob

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 23:02:58 »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Been doing a bit of measuring today so just need to find a sutable bit of pipe and some brave pills to cut the hole.

Thanks once again

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 11:59:20 »
Quote from: "Les Henson"
The rear 'silencer' is actually a resonator. Some people have said that the noise at higher revs is annoying. Normally people remove the centre silencer and leave the resonator in place, which makes a much better sound.
Les.

I normally advocate that on the petrols becuase the front one is normally restrictive and thus hinders the flow of gases. However as both silencers on the tdi are 'straight throughs' there isn't a lot in it performance wise. I did try it with both silencers out but at the std diameter it's just too noisy!
If you increase the diameter to 2½-3" you can get away with it.
On the V8 it does get noisy if you chop out the front box which I did on my old pick-up (no rear cabin meant no resonance) but on Shed I have 2 straight throughs and side exit and it sounds lovely.  :D
Cheers
DEANO

Offline DEANO3528

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 12:06:33 »
Just found a couple of pics

The rear exit

Rear box

Front box

I know these are RR pics but same will apply to a 'Quasi'  :oops:  sorry Disco  :D
Cheers
DEANO

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 16:16:42 »
Quote from: "DEANO3528"
Quote from: "Les Henson"
Les.

I normally advocate that on the petrols becuase the front one is normally restrictive and thus hinders the flow of gases. However as both silencers on the tdi are 'straight throughs' there isn't a lot in it performance wise. I did try it with both silencers out but at the std diameter it's just too noisy!
If you increase the diameter to 2½-3" you can get away with it.
On the V8 it does get noisy if you chop out the front box which I did on my old pick-up (no rear cabin meant no resonance) but on Shed I have 2 straight throughs and side exit and it sounds lovely.  :D

Which would explain why Blue had the centre box from a TDi on it, and nowt else, nice :twisted:

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 17:56:27 »
My V8 has been de cated, and just has an american center box only (i think its a turbo muffler) no back box and side exit.
Done by pipecraft in basildon in Essex.
Love the sound, very pleased with there work.
Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline barny

Attack Member
Discovery Exhaurst !!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 18:46:27 »
I had a look on the screen at work today, i just need to get some pipe and get happy with the hacksaw. Look easy enough and there some suuitable tax disc holders down the road that tidy the end up nicely.

Have you seen that Cheviot are doing cat free front pipes for the 300tdi for £20 ?!! No flexi pipe but a bargain price !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal