AuthorTopic: disco 1 cold weather electrical problems? did it work?  (Read 5648 times)

Offline Arightpest

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
disco 1 cold weather electrical problems? did it work?
« on: December 23, 2004, 22:57:07 »
Hi

Does anybody know if sandman750 is up and running yet was it the links at fault?

The pest

TUFFTEE

certainly DID Thankyou Pest!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 23:51:54 »
Sorry i have just got home from late shift at 1130pm
Being i am a shift worker with very little spare time i took the disco to my local Land Rover Garage to see what they come up with? the result was as predicted and they said they could repair it? wait for it???????????????

£125.00 + vat for a new Fusable Link?
£ 288.00 + vat labour charge for 2 1/2 hours
Total £413.00 + vat
Not bad Eh???
  So i went and collected my disco Paid them for 1/2 hour labour! and went straight down my local car bits shop and bought half a dozen inline fuse holders and 15 amp fuses and proceded to solder in position!
 and now everything has come back to life And i am eternally grateful for your help guys! anytime i can return the favor give us a shout if i can that is?
                                  Merry Xmas Nev......... (sandman750)

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:59:14 »
Hello Sandman

How the hell can they think it will take them 2 ½ hours to solder 4 wires and also I didn’t know the fusible links were made from the rarest? Metal known to man are the strands of metal removed from recycled space rockets.

I am very happy that I was able to help you out, that’s what the mud club is all about. But one thing that does upset me is the amount of people that don’t look at theses clubs that go to main dealers and are ripped of blind by over charging money grabbing gits.

The best knowledge is always shared and given freely.

To all on the mud club have a good Christmas and have a happy new year.

Ps and to the over charging main dealers out there I hope your pipes freeze and you nuts fall off?

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 18:54:32 »
If you're not replacing it with another fusable link then you'd be best to use a slow blow fuse than a normal one.

Personally I'd replace with the proper bit of kit. They don't cost a deal. £125 is definately someone having a laugh.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 23:18:35 »
if it what the mans asking for it must be the going price.

Nothing is stranger than fiction and nothing is weirder than reality and nothing is as far from reality than a price list form a main dealer.

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 23:34:05 »
Can you help me out?

What’s the difference between a slow blow fuse and a normal one? I thought you had to have a fuse suitably rated so that the device it was safe guarding had a problem it would pop it fast enough to protect the said device. And if you can find fusible links cheaper can you please let me know so I can replace mine and my friends to the proper speck?

Arightpest

TUFFTEE

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 23:54:33 »
Hi Guys
           When i got the workshop manager on his own explaining to me what the problem was,
he said that it was land rovers way of getting around the regulations without fitting a fuse box! i said to him that i would most likly fit in-line fuses! and he said that- that would probely be  better than the original land rover bodge in the first place as long as i keep a spare fuse handy!
the whole idea is to stop the engine compartment catching fire! i personally think that fuses are more than capable of doing that!
Anyway Merry Xmas All.
                                        Nev.....

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 10:14:17 »
Basically a fusible link is designed to go (melt) when things go wrong. It needs to take surges much higher than normal fuse will tolerate. A normal fuse will blow in a split second and under normal use you may find yourself having to replace a normal fuse more often that you'd like. Very inconvenient.

A slow blow fuse will mean you will have less need to change the fuse.

There's a lot more to fuses than just a bit of wire.

Fuses are there to protect the wiring.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal