AuthorTopic: pointless buy?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Whatmot

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
  • Referrals: 0
pointless buy?
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:41:35 »
ok, i brought this last night, i dont know why yet but i figuered it was going cheap so why not

link

what do people think, pointless buy or not?
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
pointless buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 14:07:19 »
Hmm, pintless I'd say as the points that would need to mount with are inacesssible. They are for stifening suspention and preventing the turrets flexing independantly. Yes, on a performance car at speed on a twisty track they do help maintin the correct geometry. On a Vit I'd say its probobly worse than worthless.

More likeley it belongs to a Swift or Boleno (sp?)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

wrecker

pointless buy?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 19:37:09 »
i might be wrong here but that does look like a strut brace off a twin cam swift,i had one and looked just like that,

like i said might be wrong :)

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
pointless buy?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 20:26:40 »
might be, it says vitara, but then i wouldnt think theres much difference between them all so long as they are the right lenght and the bolt holes are in the right place :?

i dont think its a totally useless buy, they fit them to race cars to increase rigidity thus increasing handling and reduce wear&tear. now i know vitaras arnt race cars and so handling isnt a major issue, however, considering offroaders are put under great strain when articulating etc and the fact im removing my sway bar so weight transfer is going to increase, i would think anything that will help reduce wear&tear on the car is a good thing, plus dave jones @ bits4vits is making one for his gv :wink:
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
pointless buy?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 21:04:15 »
There isnt anywhere to bolt it to :)

The strut bolts arent acessible from the point that needs to mount for one, well I'm pretty sure they arent, I will check.

Its also of no use. On a monoque chassi such as those in almost all production cars, the body is not as rigid as a chassis would be, the flex isnt huge but its significant at speeds and under stresss. The way to deal with this is use a bloody great subframe and bolt it all to that (as per rear of my Audi) or go for strut-braces (as per the front). Your suspention towers are attached to what can be best described as two large, cross braced girders.

If you are doing enough to deform those:

a) What engine have you got because I want one or
b) If you/car/both arent dead yet you soon will be :)

I'm sure eeyore could shed more light on this too but look at what you'll gain :

Better steering/suspention geometry at speed (60mph on sharp bends, at which point a vit becomes a roling expanding cloud of scrap anyway, I know this from experience)

In exchange for

Probobly not fitting and requiring a bodge, your suspention towers are hidden and inline with your air filter/plenum chamber

Bodging a saftey component

Making it impossible to serive major componenets and making major engine repairs utter ballache.

Really, put it on ebay again as a swift crossbrace, say you beleive it to be correct and you'll probobly even make more than you paid.

Its possible it might belong to a 99+ GV2000
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
pointless buy?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 21:34:46 »
there enough 8)
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline markyb

Attack Member
pointless buy?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 21:31:01 »
gvs and diesel vitara have them

my vitara needed one badly , i went live axle in the end but its was on the cards

The strut towers used to move knocking out my camber leading to a lot of bearing issues,  this mainly down to 3inch body lift,  3 inch lift.  
also down to a lot of weight cage winch bumper etc,

if they had been braced i think it owuld of helped a lot even if i didnt have 300bhp under the bottom

just my pennies worth
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal