AuthorTopic: Hmm... How much fuel is left?  (Read 938 times)

Offline rustprooflandyracer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hmm... How much fuel is left?
« on: June 24, 2007, 12:27:51 »
The fuel gauge along with the temperature gauge has stopped working, they are not rising off the base. Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

screwy

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:45:39 »
Bad earth most likely. Try running a wire from the dash earth to a known good earth and see what happens. If not start the chase! Check the units using an electrical tester, check the senders, check the relevant cable runs.

Check the main battery and harness earths as well while your at it.

Offline rustprooflandyracer

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 15:49:50 »
The main fuse keeps blowing under the dash, the second one down from the top. 17A continous, 35amp blow. The wipers,indicators and brake light seem to be on the same circuit.

I changed the fuse, then all was fine for about 30 seconds then the fuse blew again.

Thanks Matt
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Offline MisterC

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 21:02:01 »
The fuel and temp gauges take their live feed from the voltage regulator/stabiliser which is fixed to the back of the speedo.  If both gauges fail at once, then it is usually this or the connection to it or the fuse for it or a bad earth as suggested earlier.  It could be that the feed from the voltage regulator has come away from the fuel gauge (it feeds to this first then onto the temp gauge) and is shorting out behind the dash.  It is a green wire.  You'll have to ease the instrument panel forward to have a look (disconnect the earth from the battery first).  Ideally remove the steering wheel to give you more room.
1972 SWB Petrol 2.25 SIII, safari top side windows, Limestone, FWH, 750xR16s, Weber carb, Kenlowe fan, Maplin DIY ignition amplifier and now overdrive.  Coming soon...(cheap) SU carb conversion and (cheap) electronic dizzy conversion (he said hopefully).

screwy

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 22:23:08 »
If that wire suggested is okay, then again with the earths or it may even be the regulator itself at fault?

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 17:44:52 »
I used ot have this and I found that if I put my fingers behind the instrument pannel at the top and pulled it as hard as I could Whilst stil screwed into place they worked then!!! :lol: Let go and they stopped working.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 17:58:13 »
Based on generic car stuff. Odds on the voltage regulator is faulty or has a bad connection. It could also be an erath thing but doubtful.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal