AuthorTopic: Someone else with a starting problem.  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Fuddy as muck

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Someone else with a starting problem.
« on: June 04, 2007, 20:32:59 »
Over the last 3 months i'v had 2 starter motors fitted. The problem i'm getting is that when i have a fully charged battery the landy runs fine untill i have done a few trips. Then the battery has lost too much power and wont start the engine. I'v taken the negative straight to the engine now and jump started it with the car i'v just got back from a 15 minute journey and turned the engine off. When i tried to start the engine it still wouldnt turn. Could it be the alternator thats knackered? Please give me some help as i'm starting to get a bit p1ssed off with the bloody thing. Its on a N/A Transit engine by the way.

Darren

Offline TBM

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 20:40:34 »
Have you got a Multimeter?

If the alternator is working, then voltage reading at the battery should rise when the engine is running (up to around 13.5 - 14V I think).

If this isn't happening, then the alternator is not happy. I managed to ressurect them occasionally by giving a good clean, but replacements are quite cheap.

Double check all your earths again. I had sporadic starting of my series and went through two starters before a mate spotted the loose earth lead......

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 20:50:14 »
As the Landy has had a Transit conversion done, what is the best way to run all the earths? At the moment i'v got it as from the neg on the battery straight to the engine and then from the engine straight to the chassis. Is there anything else needed? I'm not that knowlegable about mechanics but once i'm told i wont forget. I'm a sparks by trade so the tools arent a problem.

Darren

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 21:13:29 »
Hi Darren,

I don't know about 'normal' Landies, our has a Ford 3L V6 conversion, we've got the earth going to the engine, bolted on at one of the alternator bolts, then also on the same bolt is another rather long lead running back past the battery, and bolted on the the front panel at the top to the left of the radiator. Our battery in the engine bay btw - Series IIa. I can't see another earth to the chassis, but it's in the garage, and I store stuff underneath so can't go crawling.

If I remember, I'll have another look tomorrow night - out for pub meet.

As for your battery / alternator. Beg, steal, borrow (or maybe buy) a multi-meter, they are a proper useful tool. As stated above, with the engine on, the battery would read 13 to 14 volts across, then with the engine off, ours certainly settles at 12.68 volts, where it stays. Ours used to lose voltage with the ignition off, it had been connected up wrong on the positive side when the conversion was done, I have since corrected this and it doesn't lose anything now.

I don't know about your starter motors, not got experience of that yet.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 21:24:16 »
Thanks for looking mate :D  Its also worth noting that with a fully charged battery i can leave it sat for a month or 2 and it will start first time. But once i drive it round especially over this hot weekend (Fan drained battery fast) the battery loses its juice and wont start unless jumped.

Darren

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 21:36:13 »
It's definitely the alternator then, just not charging. Question is, is it connected correctly, or just not working...

You got an ammeter plugged-in? That's how I found ours was wired up wrong, the ammeter didn't work, still doesn't actually, the rest's fine though.
How do the positive cables go?
You got one cable from the alternator, or two? Our has one thick one, and one skinny one.

Should be something like
Battery + to solenoid (red)
Alternator + to solenoid (brown)
Fusebox (1) to solenoid (brown)
All the above to the same pin on the solenoid.

Will be slightly different with an ammeter in.

and I could go on, but I'm not going to describe a whole wiring diagram...

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 22:29:32 »
Cheers mate :D  I'll check the alternator wiring tommorow and put a voltage tester over the battery terminals. Might be finally getting somewhere with this now. Will i do any damage to the new starter if i keep jumping the Landy to get it going?

Darren

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 16:08:17 »
I've never done any damage, all you're doing with jump starting is providing an external supply similar to your battery. At worst, some of the positive cables may get warm, though I wouldn't think so unless you're having to spend a long long time at one go trying to start it.

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:12:00 »
Couldn't find another earth cable, and mine works fine...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal