AuthorTopic: Swivel bearings  (Read 351 times)

Offline BrumLee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Swivel bearings
« on: April 29, 2007, 20:14:18 »
I've just finished preping my motor for MOT (plenty of welding  :roll: ) and found the o/s top swivel bearing shot  :cry:  This is the second one since I've had the motor and I've heard they're a common fault  :shock:

So how many have you changed?
Lee from Brum

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
Swivel bearings
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 21:01:24 »
Its not a common problem, but what is a common mistake it that people tend just to replace the bearings inner race and leave the outer race because its hard to get out.
Taper roller bearings differ between manufactures although the ID and OD of this size bearing will be the same no matter what bearing you buy, the actual rollers can be different sizes.

wizard :twisted:

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Swivel bearings
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:39:49 »
After 190,000 miles, I've just had to replace my nearside one (don't they always fail at inconvienient times!). I did the off-side last year. I expect that to be it for another oodles of miles. Like any bearing, they will fail, but they are remarkabley tough unless you are doing something really daft with the vehicle!

Whilst it's apart, check the state of your swivels balls themselves. Any sign of pitting and swap 'em. It isn't a job you'll be wanting to do again next year when your seals start leaking!  :wink:

Expect the job to take a day.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
Swivel bearings
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:45:45 »
You don't notice anything on the road, no wandering, no pulling, etc.. it's only when you jack it up and say "oh dear"  :shock:

When I stripped it last time the bearing had disappeared and what was left was rusty. I think I may have a water ingress problem if the same has happened. Now where's that silicone gun  :lol:
Lee from Brum

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Swivel bearings
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:31:02 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"
You don't notice anything on the road, no wandering, no pulling, etc.. it's only when you jack it up and say "oh dear"  :shock:

When I stripped it last time the bearing had disappeared and what was left was rusty. I think I may have a water ingress problem if the same has happened. Now where's that silicone gun  :lol:

Now there's a familier story!  :lol:

Last year the OS went en-route to the MOT - how inconvienient is that! Felt it go, too. This year it was a little more nefarious and I realised coming back from work. I was supposed to be going to the local pub meet that night too.

The other give away was the amount of lube that had poured down the inside of my wheel. Cahnces are the rear oil seals will be kapputt, too, so it's a 'swivel-off' job to remove those too. More fun and skinned knuckles!
I'm really starting to fancy D2 axles - much better design!

One thing to consider (and I'd wish I'd done it myself) is the cost of parts. Having spent on a new ball (mine was quite pitted), both bearings, all the seals, then discovering that my front brake pistons are about stuffed, it would have been quicker and more cost effective to spend the money on a low milage TD5 front axle. Worth considering depending on the condition of everything else in the system.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal