AuthorTopic: Rattly gearstick  (Read 5444 times)

gords

Rattly gearstick
« on: November 24, 2004, 13:02:08 »
the main gearstick rattles when driving along. It's not a major issue until you're travelling on the motorway for a few hours, for example :wink:

Can anyone suggest a likely cause for this rattling and is it possible to fix without removing the gearbox?

The rattling stops if I rest my hand on the gearstick. Also, selecting some gears (mainly 2nd) is sometimes difficult. I assume this is a different issue but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rattly gearstick
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 13:13:53 »
Might be different on yours, as it's a 300 series, but the LT77 in the 200tdi has a silly metal plate in the top which holds the biasing springs for the gearstick... it had a tendency to crack and let the lever rattle.

There is also a bush in the top there somewhere I think which holds the bottom of the stick... that could be worn.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TOM

Attack Member
Rattly gearstick
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 16:24:07 »
I know its not curong the main problem but years ago a friend had the same problem on his series III, he just put a big elastic band round the two sticks.........stops the rattle but not the problem!
Discovery 200Tdi.

gords

Rattly gearstick
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 20:21:40 »
Quote from: "TOM"
I know its not curong the main problem but years ago a friend had the same problem on his series III, he just put a big elastic band round the two sticks.........stops the rattle but not the problem!

I seriously thought about it last weekend! After 2 - 3 hours of motorway driving it was driving me mad :x

I'm looking for a more "permanent" solution though, really :wink:

gords

Rattly gearstick
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 22:56:00 »
Useless Haynes manual :x  I wanted to see what's what in and around the gearbox - the whole gearbox section is 5 pages long and basically tells you how to get it out and that "overhauling a manual transmission is a difficult and involved job for the DIY home mechanic" :o

I need a workshop manual :wink:

gords

Rattly gearstick
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 13:58:55 »
Now then, it appears as though my gearstick has had "issues" in the past :)

After talking to a LR spares chappy, who was reasonably clueless, I got a printout of the "bits down there" and decided to have a quick look.

I pulled the gaitor right up and found - there is a pinch-bolt joint near the bottom which is not tight. Also, according to the drawing, there should be an upper part of the gearstick which is fixed on by what looks like a small screw/bolt - that join has had a very bad weld job which also is loose :roll:

So, I'll try tightening up the joint and re-welding the other bit... :)

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Rattly gearstick
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 13:04:18 »
Hi All

I had the same problem and you are right give it a couple of hours on the motorway and it drives you mad I had a look at all the different bits that make up the gear stick and found that where one bit pushes onto the lower part there was a metal washer stuck to a rubber bush , the rubber had worn and the shaft was touching the washer . all I did was fill the bush with hot glue and push it onto the shaft killed the noise  :D  :D
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal