AuthorTopic: Sound proofing?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Fuddy as muck

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Sound proofing?
« on: March 05, 2007, 19:16:12 »
Now that the Series is starting to look the part, i'm wanting to make it a tad quieter to drive. Has anyone sound proofed theres yet? if so what did you use? also has anyone seen a series with the sound proofing kit and carpet set available from Paddocks. For arround £100 they sell the sound kit and carpet set which on paper seems like money well spent.

Darren

Offline baldrick

Attack Member
Re: Sound proofing?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 20:55:22 »
Never got it as it looks a bit pricey, especially when i dont regularly drive the LR anymore, but this always looked good, goto http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html and search for "Moulded Matting System".

Also these guys do matting for your bonnet & gearbox http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/, but dont know if they do anything to fit series, again not had any experience & not seen any other opinons.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Quote from: "Family Drat"
Now that the Series is starting to look the part, i'm wanting to make it a tad quieter to drive. Has anyone sound proofed theres yet? if so what did you use? also has anyone seen a series with the sound proofing kit and carpet set available from Paddocks. For arround £100 they sell the sound kit and carpet set which on paper seems like money well spent.

Darren

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
Sound proofing?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 21:06:30 »
Thanks Ed. That moulded matting system looks VERY god. It is a bit on the costly side though. Mind you it would be the best so far for off-roading aswell.

Darren

Offline ay-mickey

Attack Member
sound proofing
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:47:13 »
for sound proofing try carpet felt, half inch stuff, if you need carpets bound give me a shout .

Offline S188

Attack Member
Sound proofing?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 14:50:49 »
I've got the noisekiller stuff in my diesel series 1, certainly made a massive differance and the bits were the right shape.  Sadly the glue only lasted about a year but maybe I didn't clean the metal as well as I should?

Having seen a molded type I think I'd prefer one of them (though they don't come spacificly for a series 1 so they need modifieing).  My resioning being they probubly hold together better, more durable and might be easyer to remove if you need to get the floor out (like I did when the gearbox broke).  To be fair the noisekiller kit is tolarant of mud and abuse too.  Don't think I could say the same for felt!
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline philbert

Attack Member
Sound proofing?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 14:40:41 »
just fitted the wright off road matting to my series 2.
superb stuff used it before in my 90 it cant be beaten.

dont bother with the cheep insulation and carpets it just holds water and goes mouldy and smelly.

Offline Fuddy as muck

Attack Member
Sound proofing?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 17:23:52 »
Quote from: "philbert"
just fitted the wright off road matting to my series 2.
superb stuff used it before in my 90 it cant be beaten.

dont bother with the cheep insulation and carpets it just holds water and goes mouldy and smelly.

I'v just been speaking to Drew @ Wright off road. Very helpfull bloke and looks like i'l be buying the full set next week :lol:

Does it really enable you to "Talk rather than shout though" :wink:

Darren

Offline philbert

Attack Member
Sound proofing?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 17:50:43 »
depends on how loud you talk! :(biglaugh):

no seriously you wont believe the difference
let us know how you get on.