AuthorTopic: Replacement diff pan  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Arightpest

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Replacement diff pan
« on: November 07, 2004, 21:41:22 »
Hello all

I have been having problems with a leaking diff pan on the back axel. Today I tried to have a go at fixing it? Not a good idea what started out as a little hole turned into a very good impression of a very leaky colander, and needless to say I wish I had not started it. Can anybody recommend a replacement diff pan because it’s not worth another go at this one?

All the best

Mick

Arightpest

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 21:45:49 »
Somewhere in here is a thread about just this, if I can find it I'll post it for you
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 21:46:20 »
almost all of the mail order shops keep them eg craddocks, and heavy duty ones for about 60 quid??
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 21:48:07 »
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
Sixty quid
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 21:50:04 »
Can someone answer me a question? Is it a conspiracy? Or does everything in the world conspire to empty my pocket?

arightpest

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 22:01:29 »
The way of the landrover!!  I just welded up the hole in my rear diff pan when i blew up the diff wilst playing off road.
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
bang goes my run aroud the bed room
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 22:02:58 »
Hello All

I will give paddock a ring in the morning I don't live far from them.

Arightpest

Ps I will say one thing thanks to a very good friend Simon or simdeb as he is known on the mud club after a phone conversation at well past three on a Sunday afternoon he rushed around to my house to help me remove the axle to enable me to sort the problem out. I have known Simon for too many years I can mention but a better friend you could not meet. They broke the mould on this one. And if you met him you would see it was a big mould.
 :D

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 22:06:12 »
Hello

is this a photo from the film the alien it looks like john herts chest? mine didn't go bang it just went the way of the rust. yours looked more fun.

arightpest
 :)

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 22:13:55 »
it was good fun, only had abou 5 mins of off road fun then i had to spend a couple of hours pulling the back axle apart so i could get home.

A very nice chap made me some ace plugs for tha hubs to stop crud getting into the casing, i never cought his name but if he sees this......... thanks!!
1990 Landrover Discovery

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 22:21:15 »
With thanks to Simon and the stranger we all will keep things rolling?

arightpest  :D  :D  :D  :?:

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
Replacement diff pan
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 11:22:12 »
Hello All

I have finally finished the rear diff pan swap, it’s not a job I would like to do again in a hurry. The complete rear axel came out pretty easily well it does do when you’ve got a brilliant friend called Simon that knows what he’s doing. Once out I fetched a replacement diff pan from Paddock £30 so not to bad. While I had it to bit I changed a few bits like the rear flexible hose easy job, then the aframe ball joint what an absolute git of a job. I cheated by removing the aframe bracket from the aframe so I could put into the vice to help removal. I am not a small bloke but it took me at least half an hour with a piece of pipe and a four pound lump hammer to shift it, it was well rusted in.

Next I tried to put the new one in (don’t try this at home children) plan one pull it in with its own bolts it just bent the ends down. Plan two try and squeeze it in using the vice a bit at a time? It went in but not level so out came the hammer again once out I never got to plane three because at one point in time I must have court the edge of the rubber and [!Expletive Deleted!] it up four very small cuts in it and grease came out. Not a happy bunny.

I phoned Paddock for a replacement and they didn’t have one. B++++++S .so I phoned DLS up and after a quick conversation with the nice man he told me for a little bit more they would press it on for me. So the morel of the story children take it to a man that can it’s a dam sight easer.

Last of all I took the new pan and axel to a local engineering company I have known for years and it looks a brilliant weld so hopefully it won’t leak?

After fighting with the aframe ball joint again trying to get it back into the axel, With the help from my son and two trolley jacks one scissor jack and a piece of wood it went in. all the other jobs went with no problem so all ends well.

I know I have saved a shed load of money doing most of it my self I wouldn’t like to tackle the job again, it’s not for the faint hearted.

All the best

Arightpest

(Arightpest son) it helps when u put the springs in first not the shocks dad. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal