AuthorTopic: Cb Aerial  (Read 1336 times)

Offline metz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Cb Aerial
« on: December 28, 2006, 22:56:40 »
I'm just about to fit my cb in the Vitara but i'm having difficulty locating a good place to mount  the aerial. As its a soft top version theres not much roof to stick the magmount on so i thought about fitting it somewhere on the rear without the magmount. but there doesn't seem to be many places to attach it.

Has anyone else fitted theirs?

I had thought about fitting some steel plate to the spare wheel holder but it just doesn't look right...its got to look good aswell as being practical haha.

Offline Cate

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 23:32:21 »
I was told they are better fitted towards the front of the vehicle, better signal.
Cate
Suzuki Jimny jlx, not ready to play in the mud yet.
VWt25 camper. Doesn't 'do' mud.
Dog. Always playing in the mud.
iow4x4club.co.uk

AbyssDJ

Cb Aerial
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:38:35 »
as far as i know, they're best mounted in the middle of whatever youre mounting them on... if that makes sense? ie. smack in the middle of the roof is the ideal place if you're putting it on a roof.... so as close to that as possible?

that said though, ours is just on a gutter mount above the front passengers door, and works fine

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:05:36 »
It really depends on whether you are happy to drill the car or not. If you are, you have more choice of mounts.

Take a look at the antenna mounts on one of the CB websites like www.thunderpole.co.uk and see if any of them look useful.

The key is to get a good earth plane. So the larger the steel panel you fit to, the better. The positioning on the vehicle (or the panel) defines the 'spead' of signal. As a rather over simplified rule, if the antenna is towards the front of the car, you will get better range rearwards and visa virca. Having said that, most of our use is very short range (like green laning), so it's not normally critical.

Well, that is the way my uneducated mind understands it. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong!!

Might be worth posting this in the 'elecrtonics' section so you stand more chance of the experts spotting it.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline metz

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 17:01:16 »
cheers guys, thanx moneypit i will post in there too.

Offline joker777

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 17:41:32 »
i have seen loads of CB ariels mounted on the spare wheel holder, just fabricate a bracket and mount it on there behind and to one side of the spare wheel.

Offline metz

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 18:36:18 »
Cheers Joker..i might give that a go actually..if it doesnt work then i haven't spent much.

Offline ooheck

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 16:23:12 »
When I first fitted mine, I used a mag mount and fitted a body mount angle bracket to it. With this I could stick the mag mount onto the vertical boot. This stops it getting knocked off by low trees etc.
Got all the bits from the truck stop CB shop near you. M18 J1.

Steve

Offline Telaren

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 20:29:22 »
Just ordered a new aerial for my shiny new CB

Goinging to mount it on the spare wheel carrier

See Discovery Forum at  

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=34120

Shows some ideas.

Taz   :(biglaugh):
Discovery 200TDI
Mud Pluggin Monster In The Making
235/70/16 MT Insa Sahara
+2 Springs & Shocks
Sanddown Steering Guard
Front + Rear Diff Guards
Dual Charging Unit
Rock / Tree Sliders
12,000lb Remote Operated Winch.
NORTH LAKES 4X4 CLUB

Offline metz

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 23:10:38 »
@ taz..cheers mate i will take a look.

@Steve..i didnt even realise there was a cb shop so close..j1 m18 is hellaby aint it.

Offline Bunnie

Attack Member
    • portsmouth
Cb Aerial
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 15:52:34 »
on ours when we had the mag mount we put it on the roof over the roll bar, although need to be careful when going through carparks as we managed to break it.

we then mounted it on the drivers side rear bumper worked well but didnt always get a great signal. so its now drilled to the passanger rear quarter pannel just by the roof.
Suzuki Vitara (Rabbit)- Alive and well
206cc (Puggy) -Sold Defender Black (mummys 90)
Disco 200tdi (Serenity)- Sold
Audi S2 - Rich's beast
Audi 100 - The work horse
Sapphire the Siberian Husky
Skye the Alaskan Marlamute
Devil Ducks (Howard, River & Jayne)

Offline zacspeed

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 19:18:16 »
I welded mine onto the back door!

The bolts that secure the mounting need trimming a little bit, but otherwise,  It seems to work just fine.

Offline ooheck

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 11:57:28 »
Quote from: "metz"
@Steve..i didnt even realise there was a cb shop so close..j1 m18 is hellaby aint it.

Its a big old bus in the truckstop on the ind est, from what I remember,  its a long time since I last went. I think its opposite Stanley tools

http://www.truckstuff.co.uk/

Cheers
Steve

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Cb Aerial
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:37:55 »
Ours was on a mag-mount as bunnie said that moved all over the thing till I mullered it.

Next stop was rear bumper with a post mount. Worked reasonably well and looked neat BUT the underside of the bumper fills with crud and the swr goes through the roof. Go this route then you'll need to cover the bottom of the post some how. Also its not really an optimal position, we ended up with a huge (4ft) whip just to get close to decent range.

Its now on the rear quarter on a body mount and it seems to have made a huge difference. Also a new radio too so it might be down to that too. Added pluss with the panel mount is that the cable is tucked away, runs down the inside of the rear, through the inside of the sill and out just under the dash to the radio.

The Front is also another possibility. Added complication is that very few surfaces on the Vit JLX are actually vertical or horizontal :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal