AuthorTopic: Running hot!!!  (Read 482 times)

Offline Lawnmower

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Running hot!!!
« on: November 28, 2006, 14:17:48 »
Well following on from the maintainace wekend, where my oil leak was diagnosed as a leaking rocker cover gasket and oil filler cap, (to be fixed when I can get the parts), my landy has developed a problem.

(Also fixed among others was a wobbly alternator and a hose clip round the high pressure turbo hose. now runs a lot quieter.)

Its started becoming rather hot on the temperature gauge. Rad Expansion bottle took nearly 2 litres of water!!! (also checked top of rad-had water in it) and it settled down to middway. That was last night. Also topped up with lots of oil. figured oil loss was causing it to run hotter? Could not see any obvious water leaks.

This morning, within 10minutes of wife leaving for work, she said it climbed steadily to around half way, then suddenly went past the edge of the white bit on the temp gauge! She pulled over, gave me a ring, and came back home for me to take her to work. Checked the water level in the expansion bottle. It was full!, and not very warm either.

I'm now thinking that there is a possible blockage somewhere? or a jammed/defective thermostat. Incidently, the heater has always been rubbish, seems to be hot when going fast(in a landrover!) but v poor when sationary, suspect fan has dodgy conection, or not working at all and is relying on air ram effect to push hot air through.

Engine oil looks pretty clean-no mayonaise.

Will try some rad cleaner tonight, and get a new thermostat tomorrow. Any suggestions most welcome, am I likely to need other random things? hoses, gaskets etc.

Also, How hard is it to change the water pump gasket...(cambelt off job?)

Cheers. Tony
--------------------------
FOR SALE Landrover 2.5 TD 90 FOR SALE
--------------------------

Offline Bob696

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Running hot!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 17:00:41 »
You could also change the temp sender unit and meter/guage. Also reverse flush your heater matrix.

The water pump gasket needs the fan to come off and the fan belt removing (assuming it is the same as a 200 Tdi). Then I think it is 5-6 bolts to come out. Check the pump whilst it is out (£40 from paddocks or there about).

Also check the rad for damage to the fins and/or mud clogging it.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal