AuthorTopic: work shop accedents  (Read 5761 times)

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
  • Referrals: 0
work shop accedents
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006, 19:13:28 »
Using a 3/4" Air gun to do up some teeth on a large recycler i trapped the base of my index finger between the tooth and the machine as i did the nut up to 400lb ft, then... i had to one handed reverse the gun and back the nut off :shock: to release my hand, i still have the scar where it tore the skin out :roll:

colleague of mine was using a large 3/4" break back torque wrench to tighten up a wheel on a tractor, if you dont know when you set the torque on one of these they 'break' in the middle when the right tightness is reached as you do up the bolt or wheel nut, when the torque wrench resets it springs back fairly hard to the straight position any way on this day the guy was doing the wheel he had slippery hands and as the wrench 'broke' it slipped off his hand and snapped back... connecting quite hard with the soft dangly objects he keeps in his trousers :shock:  needless to say he spent about 4 hours curled up in a ball refusing all treatment  :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
work shop accedents
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 19:18:28 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
Using a 3/4" Air gun to do up some teeth on a large recycler i trapped the base of my index finger between the tooth and the machine as i did the nut up to 400lb ft, then... i had to one handed reverse the gun and back the nut off :shock: to release my hand, i still have the scar where it tore the skin out :roll:

colleague of mine was using a large 3/4" break back torque wrench to tighten up a wheel on a tractor, if you dont know when you set the torque on one of these they 'break' in the middle when the right tightness is reached as you do up the bolt or wheel nut, when the torque wrench resets it springs back fairly hard to the straight position any way on this day the guy was doing the wheel he had slippery hands and as the wrench 'broke' it slipped off his hand and snapped back... connecting quite hard with the soft dangly objects he keeps in his trousers :shock:  needless to say he spent about 4 hours curled up in a ball refusing all treatment  :lol:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

wonder how many of the male MC members all crossed there legs reading that
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 19:46:33 »
Quote from: "muddyjlx"
drilled through both wrists.

At the same time?  :?

I'm counting getting my finger caught in the pop riveter as pretty lucky after reading all the other stories here.  Dropping spanner on head is par for the course when working under vehicle, and I *always* cut my hands at some point and bleed everywhere.  If police ever need a DNA sample off me they will find plenty all over the Discovery and any DIY project I've ever done.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Penguinius

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2006, 22:19:47 »
I once got the brake pack assembly of an Airbus A318 dropped on my foot, These things weigh a hell of a lot, but the Polymer/Kevlar Toe cap didn't even bend. the thing didn't even scuff the leather. The top of my foot was very deep purple.
I was tinkering with the top radiator hose on a Landy a while ago when the wet screw driver sliped and hit me in the eye, I couldn't see out of it for about 5 minutes. It was blood shot for weeks.
1984 Series III 88" CSW

Offline Minotaur

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2006, 22:27:01 »
A few I have seen over the years:

Fella working under an MG Midget race car no axle stands and the jack slipped - crushed his skull, chest and pelvis!, this guy survived by pure luck but took the best part of 2 years to recover properly.

Whilst in Africa saw several Panga injuries, including an attack by Mugabe's henchmen that left several people minus arms and/or legs.

Chap changing a tyre on a set of split rims, over airred the tyre, the split rim blew off taking a large piece of scalp and a 2" sq piece of skull!

Friend driving through Lower Zambezi National Park in a series III stopped to let a herd of elephant pass, once clear set on his way for a baby ele to run in front of him and his colleague, they stopped just in time and sighed loudly. Whereupon the mother charged them, she stomped on the bonnet and put both tusks thru the bulkhead - they escaped by baling out the back - I helped recover this vehicle several days later and was shocked by the damage caused - including a squash engine and thoroughly bent chassis.

Offline leo

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2006, 22:40:49 »
a big blob of weld through my overals onto my leg  :shock:

it smelt like bacon and took 6 weeks to heal properly

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 07:07:01 »
:shock: I really hope that no one from the health and safety department is reading this we will be closed down for being to dangerous!!! :lol:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline vaz

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 08:04:01 »
not a nice one a mate off mine many years ago was working in pit removing a sender unit ,as he drained the fuel he knocked a strip light and boom history

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 08:56:59 »
Guy working on a boat next to me adjusting the timing chain tension on a running engine, cost him the tiops of all four fingers.

Stapled my hand to a wall
14Kv Electric shock (Hitting the tool rack hurt more)
Dropped nice expensive snap on extention bar and discopvered it had landed between the starter feed and the body when I picked it.
Soldering iron bit fallen off while upside down using it, landed on my arm.
Eyebrows taken off by acidentally igniting solvent weld after making a really impressive bit of waste pipe up and looking down it
Electrocuted more times than I can count with varing voltages between 50V AC ring current on a phone line up to TV EHT feeds at 24Kv

Oh, and a 160MHz RF burn on my toungue (Dont Ask)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 10:13:10 »
I have put a drill through my arm working on a lathe,

I used to pull swarf of a lathe whilst machining until it got me, whilst working on a surface grinder i put my hand between the wheel and job,

Whilst working on a landrover i have had rust in my eye it had to be removed using a scrapping action :shock: , a spanner 52 mm was helpfully thrown at me by my 2 year old straight in the neathers whilst underneath the Disco

The one most recently using a can of expanding foam all over my hands and the stuff woundn't come off a  vist to A&E for this one

lots of others,

Darren
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 12:51:56 »
i have so far

1 two stiches in scalp (undoing lorry wheel nuts by standing on a 8ft scaffold pole sliped off and it landed on my head made my eyes water)
2 knocked myself out bending down to pick up a tool and didnt see bumper iron sticking out
3 various metal bits in the eyes
4 weld splatter burns the worst into (sock boot ears arm pit and under pants)
5 split knuckles
6 crushed fingers
7 crushed toes
8 brocken ribs (assaultd at work)
9 compressed spine (been of for 4 years so far)just keep taking the pills

glad i gave up work looks like a dangerous occupation (mechanic)
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline muddyjlx

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 13:16:59 »
drilled both wrists.

was holding the body while drilling a hole, straight through the steel and into my wrist.
Being a stupid twit i then did it to the other wrist 5 mins later.
want modification bits for your suzuki.
www.suzuki4x4mods.com

Offline Disco_Al

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2006, 14:03:31 »
whilst welding the exhaust on my old mini (still attached to the car!)(up-side-down welding not to be recomended!) a stray bit of slag fell on my forehead.

dropped SJ 413 engine on my hand while trying to swear it into the box...

Al.
"Bad habits and risky behavior don't qualify as experience!"
"4 out of 5 voices in my head said Go For It!"

http://www.myspace.com/badger_al
http://www.4x4prejudice.com

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2006, 14:51:36 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Soldering iron bit fallen off while upside down using it, landed on my arm

Yep :lol:  Done that & had it stuck to the palm & left nice little vent hole marking for a few weeks, except mine twisted round on a stiff flex, so I picked it up by the metal

Quote from: "blackbob"

i have so far

Broken nose, belted by a junkie at work, still waiting for him to be brought back in for some reason :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
(I'll make sure I'm not left alone with him, so he can't accuse me of anything, but if he does start..............)
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
work shop accedents
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006, 14:59:26 »
20 stiches in the palm of my left hand, while drilling spot welds out of a door aperture on a tressle in slipped & whats the first thing you do when something drop's ---

Yes try to catch it, not reccomended when the drill is still going round :oops: , ended up three weeks later haveing plastic surgey on the hans due to middle finger turning blue & staying in the upright position :shock: , funny now but had to sign before the op as they might of needed to amputate bits or open up my lege to take some string bits to repair the hand,

Now left with a nice ''zorrow shaped scar

Oh lots of weld burns & other nasty cuts you get when you are a panel beater.
John.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
work shop accedents
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2006, 16:05:34 »
At a party rather than in a workshop...

Laughed at a funny comment cracked just as I swigged from a fine bottle of becks...

Thought.. oh dear, I'm about to spray beer everywhere so got up and walked to end of patio... then realised... actually... I can't quite breathe in at the moment.... something is in the way...!

Wife was laughing at me... till lI went down like sack of spuds.

Recovered looking a bit blue... following morning there was no white left in either eye, I'd blown every capillery. Momnday morning was fab... had a new intake of call centre staff to train... they thought I waas the anti-christ!

:lol: [/i]

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2006, 16:40:44 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"
Quote from: "Evilgoat"
Soldering iron bit fallen off while upside down using it, landed on my arm

Yep :lol:  Done that & had it stuck to the palm & left nice little vent hole marking for a few weeks, except mine twisted round on a stiff flex, so I picked it up by the metal

Done that too. Saw it heading florwards, caught it, then felt the pain and smell of roasting pork.

Funny, these things all seem like a good idea untill its too late :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2006, 17:40:45 »
Mate of mine ate a cheese sandwich and choked then while stumbling about fell down the maintenance pit .. upset a passing rat which bit his leg..jumped up and cracked his head on a car that the lord mayor had only just parked ... the spun round knocked a tool box over which landed on his foot he yelped bend down but didn't see  the wire sticking out and poked his eye, then climbed out of the pit and was molested by a passing family of badgers and his name was Nordberg

Erm ok I made every single word of that up but it kept me amused for a few seconds ... I'll get my coat!
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

*If you only knew the power of the dark side*

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2006, 19:29:02 »
Quote from: "blackbob"
i have so far

1 two stiches in scalp (undoing lorry wheel nuts by standing on a 8ft scaffold pole sliped off and it landed on my head made my eyes water)
2 knocked myself out bending down to pick up a tool and didnt see bumper iron sticking out
3 various metal bits in the eyes
4 weld splatter burns the worst into (sock boot ears arm pit and under pants)
5 split knuckles
6 crushed fingers
7 crushed toes
9 compressed spine (been of for 4 years so far)just keep taking the pills

glad i gave up work looks like a dangerous occupation (mechanic)
 don't tell me your nickname is "Lucky" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2006, 19:31:47 »
:? Mind you i was under a truck once got my head between propshaft and chassis hit my head on the prop first reaction was to move my head straight into the chassis behind my head could have been there all day!!! it hurt though!! :?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
work shop accedents
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2006, 19:57:01 »
well best one ive done is stop a disco with my face after it rolled of a set or ramps..

scraed my face with an 18 inch ratchet undoing radius arm bolts on a 90 & the ratchet jumped back & bit me & today gave myself a black eye whilst stripping a V8 by rugging something which pulled my ratchet of the engine which i caught with the bone under my left eye...

Cue a black eye & a cut face again
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
work shop accedents
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2006, 20:11:55 »
dreadnought110 im glad to be out of fixing cars vans lorries and 4x4s
been doin it for 27yrs

best ones ive seen were

electrician cross the 3phase and fly accross the workshop

and a m8 removing an exhaust he was tugging at it and when it came off it hit him in the middle of the forhead and left a ring shape scare

a m8 was setting up a body jig and droped the jig beam on his hand and we had to jack it up off his fingers

also had someones arm trapped when a SD1 rolled off the ramp and he tried to stop it while still under it took 6 off us to lift it off

when i was an apprentice i had long hair till i set light to it soldering a rad
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal