AuthorTopic: help with service parts  (Read 279 times)

Offline minty

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • M6NTY
    • Wellingborough
  • Referrals: 0
help with service parts
« on: September 26, 2006, 21:34:48 »
the time has come for me to get stuck in with a long over due service on my td5. Thanks to a prompt push in the right direction from fellow mudders, i was guided to look at paddocks web site for parts.
 i am amazed at the price difference between 2nd parts & genuine ones ie,

1x oil filter     (britpart) £2.95     G.L.P £6.30
1x fuel filter   (britpart) £5.50     G.L.P £27.90
1x rotor filter (britpart) £5.50     G.L.P £11.89
1x air filter   (coopers) £4.99      G.L.P £8.95
                  TOTAL      Ã‚£18.94             £55.34

WITH VAT                Ã‚£22.26             £65.03

The service kit is only £17.02 ex vat.  :?

my question is  am i likely to do more bad than good from saveing a few quid now by going for the cheeper option or is it recommended that i go for the genuine parts from the out set. Does anyone have eny experience with these type goods.
I will listen to any help and advice given and act accordingly.

Guardian.

help with service parts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 21:38:48 »
COST A BITMORE BUT GENUINE EVERYTIME, ESPECIALLY ON THESE SERVICE HEART AND BLOOD ITEMS.
GENUINE ARE DEFINATELY BETTER QUALITY.

Offline minty

Attack Member
  • M6NTY
    • Wellingborough
service
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 21:49:00 »
i must admit it sounds a silly question i know but if the parts are just as good i see no point throwing away good money. I COULD BUY SOMETING NICE, like  a winch, 2"lift kit, more new rear seats, etc.etc.....  :D

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
help with service parts
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:33:52 »
I always use OEM filters etc, but don't skimp on changing them regularly or using a good quality oil.

I don't know what Britpart filters are like, but I would happily use filters from one of the OEM parts manufacturers such as Fram or Coopers (Britpart ones may well be these anyway!).  Land Rover parts will just be re-badged versions of these as well.

For drivetrain/suspension/steering parts its much more difficult to find proper OEM stuff so I often by genuine because they last longer.

H

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
help with service parts
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 14:31:23 »
Belts, sparkplugs, leads etc I use oem parts, oven the Audis air-filter is a k&n not the manufacturer one.

That said, the Oil filter is a genuine part, the oil is the higest quality stuff I can get on the basis that if these parts fail or dont perform, I have to go and get another engine built.

I think its fair enough on non critical parts but having lost a cam-belt on a classic car because it was a counterfit part from a Halfords type place I would never use anything this vital that isnt main dealer or a premium part.

in my case, its another £50 on an oil and filter change or £2000 for a re-engine
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal