AuthorTopic: POSSIBLE STEERING BOX LEAK!!!  (Read 706 times)

Offline blacknight

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
POSSIBLE STEERING BOX LEAK!!!
« on: September 16, 2006, 20:34:09 »
This may have been covered before but here goes;

There's a pool of oil appearing on the floor below the steering box on my 1992 Range Rover. :(

If it is the steering box is it possible to replace the seals to obviously stop this leak, how difficult is it to re-seal(if possible) and how difficult is it to remove the steering box.

Thanks - Nigel
1996 Discovery 300 Tdi Auto, 3 Door.
1992 Range Rover 3.9 V8 Auto - LPG & 3" Lift. *Now been sold*

Formally known as pj2629 but had to change Username due to Club Reps memory problem!!!

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 20:42:13 »
Removing the steering box is fairly simple, getting the drop arm off is another story. An exchange box is probably the best option, and have the supplier swap the droparm if required.

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 22:06:20 »
Its got to be worth giving it a clean off and finding where the leak is coming from, if you are lucky it may be an o-ring on one of the top pipes, but as already said, more than likely a replacement box will be the outcome
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:59:31 »
Also check the adjustment.  I had a knocking from the steering on the LSE, turned out the arm could rock back and forth, it was way loose and I'm surprised it didn't leak.  Anyway I was able to adjust it and now it's fine, I've avoided having to buy another.

Funny thing with the LSE, lots of stuff seems to be loose, the N/S exhaust manifold is blowing again, all the bolts have worked loose :?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline blacknight

Attack Member
Re: POSSIBLE STEERING BOX LEAK!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 14:17:34 »
Quote from: "blacknight"
This may have been covered before but here goes;

There's a pool of oil appearing on the floor below the steering box on my 1992 Range Rover. :(

If it is the steering box is it possible to replace the seals to obviously stop this leak, how difficult is it to re-seal(if possible) and how difficult is it to remove the steering box.

Thanks - Nigel

Sprayed the steering box with Jizer today and hose it down. Looks as though its the seal where the shaft from the steering wheel comes down and into the steering box(would presume this shaft is called the input shaft).

From what I can see there seems to be a circlip holding this seal in place. Has anybody replaced this seal with the steering box in situ. Looks as though it may be posible if the universal joint on this steering wheel to steering box shaft is removed!

Nigel
1996 Discovery 300 Tdi Auto, 3 Door.
1992 Range Rover 3.9 V8 Auto - LPG & 3" Lift. *Now been sold*

Formally known as pj2629 but had to change Username due to Club Reps memory problem!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal