AuthorTopic: 4x4s Get Off the Road  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 18:20:19 »
I wonder if they want a stickery supercharged Range Rover on mud-tyres ..... now that is a bit of an anomoly ;-) See how the anti's deal with that?
--
Neil

Offline JeepRikk

Attack Member
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 15:18:54 »
Just to keep everyone up to date, I have an initial interview with the producer on friday.

Will let you know how it goes.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 15:31:23 »
cool good luck. all i got back was thanks for the email
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline TechnoTurkey

Attack Member
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 16:13:54 »
Put my oar in as well:

I just thought I should e-mail you with my tuppence worth regarding the 4x4 debate.

For my daily use I drive a Golf Diesel and do about 25k miles a year as a Sales Manager, however I also run a classic ex Military Land Rover as a hobby.

Whilst this vehicle does pollute more than a brand new car I feel that its overall environmental impact is not that great as it has been in existence for 25 years in its present guise, surely that it better for the environment than buying a new car every couple of years, regardless of the MPG it may achieve.

As far as safety is concerned, I can achieve a maximum comfortable speed of around 55mph and enjoy a gentle potter around over the weekends.  Is that more dangerous than a 17 year old driving any modern car that can easily do over 100 mph?  I think not.  If safety is a primary concern then surely we should ban lorries as they can go faster and undoubtedly cause much more damage, especially ones from the continent who have a huge blind spot to their right hand side making them especially dangerous on motorways – statistics show that there are a large number or accidents caused by this each year.

The majority of the issues raised by stern environmentalists confuse me greatly, their main argument seems to be space taken up on the road and fuel economy, but a standard V6 petrol Mondeo takes up as much room as a Diesel Land Rover Discovery and arguably uses more fuel.  If the environmentalists are really concerned surely they should invest their time more wisely in cracking down on sports cars which are capable of immense speeds, causing immense damage in an accident and also using vast quantities of fuel whilst doing so, whilst only being able to seat two people.

Yes, I am sure that there are irresponsible members of the 4x4 community, as with any other group of humans with a common interest, but many many 4x4 enthusiasts devote their time to helping out in emergencies and working on areas of the countryside to keep them assessable to less abled people.

Would be happy to discuss this at length if it is of any assistance in helping you produce a well balanced show.

Kind regards
2007 Honda Civic Type R GT
1982 VW Camper - Current Project
1991 Pajero SWB 2.5TD - SOLD
1990 Range Rover Vouge 3.9 V8 - SCRAPPED
1989 110 3.5 V8 CSW - SOLD
1984 Series 3, Ex MoD, 109 SOLD
1986 90 2.5D Pick Up - SOLD

Offline quoman

Attack Member
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 13:57:42 »
I got a reply back,she wanted to speak to me,she was interested to know i used mine to travel to work and towing my caravan(which is far more user friendly than flying out on your holiday).I also pointed out that the biggest causes of traffic congestion imo are the school runs
2001 FREELANDER TD4
2006 Elldis Odysey 540
2005 Miniture Yorkie(1.8 kgs fully grown,aint she cute).....

Offline JeepRikk

Attack Member
4x4s Get Off the Road
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 13:07:31 »
Had my initial filmed interview this morning with the producer. She came over as very open and def seems to want to get a balanced view of all the arguments.
So fingers crossed they'l want a proper interview and also to take me up on the greenlaning offer...we'll see :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal