AuthorTopic: HELP!! My rear axle has locked up -should I still have drive  (Read 688 times)

Offline feyaz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
hi, my half shaft seals were leaking slightly, so I booked the car in for repair.

when driving to the garage they failed completely, and [!Expletive Deleted!] out all the oil, I didn't notice as I had the radio on, when I came to the slip road the rear diff locked up, with a bang.

basically should I still be able to drive the front wheels? or was that bang my transfer box?

when I put it in drive to try to move it on top the side of the slip road the engie rev's to 2500rpm and no more.

I've ordered a replacement rear axle as I didn't know whether the diff locking up may have damaged the axle.

its a rangie 89, 3.9 auto.

help!!!

Offline rangerider

Attack Member
HELP!! My rear axle has locked up -should I still have drive
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 15:19:12 »
if its thats locked up, youre stuffed I suspect  :cry:
Pull off the rear prop, engage difflock and it would still be like driving a FWD car with the handbrake on, thats assuming the shockload didnt tear the centre diff to peices too
Hela - Disco 200TDi, Still stock for now but watch this space.......
+ 1 battlescar

I lurv the smell of mud in the mornin'

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
HELP!! My rear axle has locked up -should I still have drive
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 01:25:30 »
Ok the 3,500 rpom is a good sign, it's called the stall speed and it menas your transmission is locked to something, if the centre diff was goosed that wouldn't happen.  I'm not sure if you have the Borg Warner or not (do you have a diff lock control) but if you do the rear diff might be blown open or locked solid, I can't say which.

Pull your half shafts and dropo the rear prop, you've nowt to loose now as they have to come off anyway.  See if it will still drive around.  BE CAREFUL, if you do have the B-W then your handbrake becomes ineffective as the car will crep when parked.  If you have a manual diff lock then engage it NOW.

I suspect the rest of the axle will be ok, it's pretty tough but I'd want to checkthe mountings and rad arms for peace of mind.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal