AuthorTopic: Project 90 update  (Read 2750 times)

Offline jerry thurston

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Project 90 update
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:42 »
Hello all,

An update for those of you that might be following the progress of P90.
First major job out of the way, the axles are finished. I couldn't get past an uneasy feeling about the CV joints still being standard when the rest of the axle is full Ashcroft spec so It now has Ashcroft Cv's too. Just fit them button it up and hopefully forget any possibility of breakages.
The brakes have been bolted on. Front callipers are now new Bearmach D110 clamping grooved drilled discs. On the back we are using more new callipers and the same sort of discs.
Complete fluke luck at the weekend, a lovely new inch smaller leather steering wheel, really chunky and just the thing. £2 and...... yes, it went on as if it were designed for it. Took a few thou off the back of the boss for the clip on self cancelling ring and it was done! I believe this can be classed as, you jammy beggar.
Andy Daws is just finishing the very special three link front and high flex rear suspension. My insistence in running 5 inces of lift has meant a couple of mods to the standard set up which is designed for 'only' 4 inches of lift. I'm really looking forward to getting the rose jointed rear arms, fwoar!!!
It seems like a lot of slog at the moment, hours in the shed and it doesn't look much different each time I close the door.

Mind you Lee at custom vinyl has designed a cool Project 90 logo and he's working on graphics for the finished truck too, thats been a big psycological boost.
My only problem is I'm struggling since I lost the backing of the company that was to paint her.
Any one got a paint shop and fancy squirting a nice coat of Ivory on in return for publicity???
Jerry Thurston

Offline snezza69

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:39:55 »
Any pics?
Snezza69

I wish this project would just hurry up and finish!

But I don't think it will if I keep making simple mistakes

dew1911

Project 90 update
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:41:38 »
Just thinking that as well, sounds a good project.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Re: Project 90 update
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 11:08:06 »
Quote from: "jerry thurston"

My only problem is I'm struggling since I lost the backing of the company that was to paint her.
Any one got a paint shop and fancy squirting a nice coat of Ivory on in return for publicity???

Would love to help you Jerry - unfortunately I live in the real world where I have to pay for anything I get done to my Landys !  :lol:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:12 »
Real is relative!
I'm merely reintroducing the barter system, payment of another kind.

Re Pix, Anybody tell me how to do it?????

Land Rovers I can do, computers humm?
Jerry Thurston

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Re: Project 90 update
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:35 »
Quote from: "v8kenny"

Would love to help you Jerry - unfortunately I live in the real world where I have to pay for anything I get done to my Landys !  :lol:

I know what you mean, but if you don't ask, you definitely don't get!  :lol:   Jerry is gaining quite alot of publicity for his build, so someone may well deem it worth their while.

If not its cheque book time again!

H

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 19:47:18 »
Jerry

I thought that you had 'challenge' of building a challenge motor for a budget £10k or less to demonstrate that you and joe public can build a winning machine?

if your getting bits free then maybe thats not fair as people reading the mag or the PR will think that they too can have a decent challenge motor for £10k or less when they cant unless they too can get bits foc.

anyway , if for publicity I have got a recovery strap you can have in exchange for putting a sticker on!  :wink:

Cant wait to see the pictures of it!
 :D
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 10:35:27 »
I still believe you can build a competitive challenge vehicle for £10K.

The price of all the stuff 'bought' is being revealed, no freebies will be hidden.

So far the nominal budget stands at a whopping £14,500! That's because the vehicle is turning out to be so good that I've not compromised in any area, the extra means the difference between being competitive at national level and allowing some parts that are easily changed to be a bit fragile and competitive at international level when it has to be almost bullet proof.
At the end of the series in LRM I'm going to be going through the build and looking at what could have been left out or changed in order to fit the £10K target, it is all about choices, we are showing the options available both cheap and not so cheap!
Thanks for the interest.
Jerry Thurston

missroadrage

Project 90 update
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 15:03:12 »
Real is relative!
I'm merely reintroducing the barter system, payment of another kind.

Re Pix, Anybody tell me how to do it?????

Land Rovers I can do, computers humm?

Go into your profile log in go to add gallery and you can put pictures on that way :)

I may know a place prepared to paint it for you but boss is back from holiday tomorrow  :wink:

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 15:37:40 »
Hooray, have a look in the gallery there are now some pics of Project 90 taken at Driffield.

Thanks for the info, most helpful
Jerry Thurston

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 18:13:11 »
Nice pictures matey.. would be great to see more...
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

Offline CJ

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 22:56:22 »
Hey Jerry, project is looking good, what way are you going to go with the bodywork, sticking with the more traditional rear tub, or going tray backed, simular to they do in oz ?  It ll be interesting to see another truck with andy/daves 3 link on the front... all good anyway  :wink:   any more pix yet, cheers chris
be warned the curley haired one is here !

www.lrbreakers.com

the loon

Project 90 update
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 00:21:38 »
just read the article in LRM looked like a lot more work had been done by the time you had the 90 at driffield but cant wait to see the finished item.

keep up the good work
(oh and can I have a spin - well I can ask cant I  :lol: )

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 15:54:24 »
Quote from: "Phoenix_Chris"
Hey Jerry, project is looking good, what way are you going to go with the bodywork, sticking with the more traditional rear tub, or going tray backed, simular to they do in oz ?  It ll be interesting to see another truck with andy/daves 3 link on the front... all good anyway  :wink:   any more pix yet, cheers chris

Traditional rear tub, but might have a special floor to get clearance for exhausts and to get at the rear winch.
Stop press......... Getting Andy's amazing rear end too, the one with the rose joints

The one with the rose joints????? They don't do one with rose joints!

They do now!!!!
Jerry Thurston

Offline smo

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 16:58:54 »
Quote from: "Phoenix_Chris"

Traditional rear tub, but might have a special floor to get clearance for exhausts and to get at the rear winch.
Stop press......... Getting Andy's amazing rear end too, the one with the rose joints

The one with the rose joints????? They don't do one with rose joints!

They do now!!!!

There have been mutterings about rose joints in various threads on here, also some pics of other new developments Andy is working on.

Sounds like an interesting project, although i understand what you are doing building the ultimate machine, its gonna be a long way off the 10K challenge you were set and the whole article would read with a i did this, but you cant cos its out of budget, and i did this...but again you cant cos its too expensive... :?  :P
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 17:10:17 »
wait and see.
Yup we've broken budget but there will be a piece later in the year about how we could have made it nearly as good for the 10K
and by nearly as good, I mean capable of winning.
Jerry Thurston

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 19:45:00 »
get a 90 - stick a winch on it, put some waffles in the back and put an excellent experienced driver behind the wheel!

:wink:
Dave

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Project 90 update
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 19:45:58 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
get a 90 - stick a winch on it, put some waffles in the back and put an excellent experienced driver behind the wheel!

gonna have to agree,does this mean ive got to boogy south to prove it?
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 19:47:47 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"

gonna have to agree,does this mean ive got to boogy south to prove it?

yep Mikey!

be great to see u down here
Dave

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 20:00:12 »

Umm, I agree. the trick bits help though!
Jerry Thurston

PUX

Project 90 update
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 20:08:20 »

wot u doin on tinternet get back to work on that 90 so we can see the finish prouduct :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:  keep up the good work  :wink:   :D

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 20:19:00 »

they certainley do!

cant wait to see it finished - you 'll have to come out with us for a bit to give it a bit of a shake down , we have a little site near us that we can get into more or less when we like , are u near northants?
Dave

Offline jerry thurston

Attack Member
Project 90 update
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 14:00:56 »
Thanks for the encouragement. Have a look at it on the Allisport stand at Billing.

I have decided I'm no longer going to defend the overspend, it's up to those reading the updates to decide what they would have left out in order to make it cost under £10k.  For instance some might be happy to change half shafts or CVs in the field, I'm not. Others would have welded up the original chassis, I didn't.
Thats the beauty of a project like this, it's Land Rover pick 'n' mix!

love and kisses
Jerry Thurston

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Project 90 update
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 18:18:47 »
 For instance some might be happy to change half shafts or CVs in the field, I'm not.

softy  :roll:

Others would have welded up the original chassis, I didn't.

Nowt wrong with that  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal