AuthorTopic: Failed thermostat  (Read 762 times)

Offline nat_hale

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Failed thermostat
« on: May 16, 2006, 18:25:53 »
Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of advice.  My 2002 Suzuki GV1600 went in to the local suzuki dealer for a full service yesterday, but driving it this morning noticed it was running very hot.  Checked under the bonnet and the radiator expansion tank was bone dry.  Put a bit of water in it to get back to the dealer, and temp. gague would only just stay out of the red with the heaters on full heat and speed.

To cut a long story short, they are now saying the thermostat is knackered and needs replacing (it doesn't open when it should).  As far as im concerned, all was fine before they serviced it - could anyone on here please confirm or deny whether or not the lack of water could have caused the thermostat to fail so suddenly???

I think its their fault and I have no intention fo paying for it (although they haven't said anything about money yet)!!

Thanks for any help,
Nat
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Failed thermostat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 20:22:37 »
Its unlikeley it would have been touched as part of a service I'm afraid. They do smetimes just die.

It could also be a clogged rad or airlock.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline nat_hale

Attack Member
Failed thermostat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:31:29 »
Thanks for the reply.  The thermostat wasn't touched as part of the service, no, but when I received the car back there was no water/coolant in the expansion tank and the car overheated.  I filled up with a water just to get me back to the dealers, but they've drained it and re-filled it and say its the thermostat broken.

Now it may be the thermostat has just died, but its only on 29,000 miles, and it seems a huge coincidence that it dies the day after a service when they didn't put enough water in the system??  I'm not 100% certain on cooling systems, which is why i was just wondering if the lack of water could have caused the thermostat failure.  The temp needle has never gone above half way in all the time i've owned it, so I'm suprised its suddenly gone!

Cheers,
Nat

PS - the car doesn't get off-roaded, got another for that!!  :lol:
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal