AuthorTopic: FIRE! Pre 93 Vitara drivers please look.  (Read 920 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
FIRE! Pre 93 Vitara drivers please look.
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:32 »
I've sorted this now so thought I'd change the post.

Had my indicator relay working on its own with no input from me, ocasionally ocompanied with a whsp of smoke. Worring as this is I took the afternoon off work to prevent Rabbit from setting fire to herself and meaning I'll be able to get into work the following day.

The Vitara I have (H reg JLX soft top has a single multifunction switch setup where as many cars have one on each side. Inside this is a single circuit board and the wipers of the switched act on raised surfaces on this board.

The wipers had worn badly making the grease conductive, this had led to a collection of conductive debris trapped between the pads on the board. When the ignition as on this was slowly burning, heating the board and causing the electronics in the switch to think that the indicator stalk was down. The board on the indicator switch had actually burned through, one sie to the other. The Wipers were going to.

Sourced a replacement off another veichle and opened it up before fitting it to be sure and it was starting to go in exactly the same way.

Cut a long story short I have rebuilt the second unit, however an enquiry at Newmans Suzuki suggests that these parts have been redesigned, the unit they offered me while wired the same, mounted the same and same controls was a totally different looking peice of kit.

If you are havin the steering wheel off for any reason or your wipers/indicators/headlamps are playing up I would suggest having a look at the switch unit. Also it smells a bit funny when it starts to go so any funny burning smells, give it a look too.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Richie_EB4

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:55:55 »
Thats one of those hard to find the source...........but please be carefull as almost all car fires are started with the electrics.
Where there is mud there will be someone stuck.........then the fun begins

Owner www.4x4lrs.com

Administrator  www.4x4uk.org

4x4RNE Commitee member www.4x4RNE.co.uk

Defender TD5...K88 MUD
2" lift
Mach 5 rims with 33/12.5/16's
Mile marker H12 with 9.5mm Plasma rope
Steering Guard and front and rear diff guards
Safari Snorkel and roof light bar.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:32:46 »
Quote from: "Richie_EB4"
Thats one of those hard to find the source...........but please be carefull as almost all car fires are started with the electrics.

Might pull the fuse for the indicators and live with hand signals on the way home. Not that anyone knows what they are.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 13:13:02 »
Godsdamm indicator/wiper switch assy is at fault. I can now indicate by punching the steering wheel.

Now off work this afternoon to hunt round local scrappers with one, along with my trusty industrial CO2 fire extinguisher.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal