AuthorTopic: Mods and things  (Read 883 times)

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Mods and things
« on: May 02, 2006, 23:37:17 »
Well i would just like to know what mods are available for the suzuki sj, am thinking of a few things, a lift, bigger tyres (but keeping the same vitara wideboy alloys) heavy duty rear bumper, possible winch and winchbumper (tubular) and an easy to fit rollcage lol

Where would i start looking and roughly how much for each bit?
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

1982 Range Rover 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel - Redun

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
Mods and things
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 00:43:32 »
Hi there, I would not recomend shackle extensions. You will find if you off road it enthusiastically the springs will break. If you can find some springs with a built in lift you will do well. They are out there but I can't remember the source right now. Spring over axle, I don't think it is a good idea. Yes it enables you to get bigger tyres on it but the diffs are still at the same height and what grounds first. With big tyres the gearing will be shot to bits with only a 1.3ltr engine. You would have to then change your tranfer box for a 410 one or change the internals.
To be honest the more mods you do to suspension and the like the more undriveable it will become on the road and more will break when you off road it.
If you want to have fun off road keep it as simple as possible. With a set of mud terrains you will be able to go most places, only limited by the amount of bottle you have and the poxy carburretta :cry:
One place I would recomend is Rubbers Suzuki, he does most SJ stuff and he has a web site.
Best of luck.
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Hovis

Attack Member
Mods and things
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:35:09 »
Quote from: "Paul.K/LuckyTrucker"
Hi there, I would not recomend shackle extensions. You will find if you off road it enthusiastically the springs will break. If you can find some springs with a built in lift you will do well. They are out there but I can't remember the source right now. Spring over axle, I don't think it is a good idea. Yes it enables you to get bigger tyres on it but the diffs are still at the same height and what grounds first. With big tyres the gearing will be shot to bits with only a 1.3ltr engine. You would have to then change your tranfer box for a 410 one or change the internals.

I agree about the shackles I wouldn't recommend them either, i used 2" ones on my pickup and they are poo! They dig in the ground all the time because the are so low and the handling on the road becomes 'interesting'.

There are loads of places to get bits from all vary in prices. Suspension wise give Pro Comp a call, i used them before and they are pretty good, prices are very reasonable too. They do a 2" spring lift system for about £400, thats everything springs, shocks, bushes etc etc http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/

ADK, think his name is Dave, are really helpful i called him for a price on a cage and was on the phone half an hour! But they are in Birdgewater so probably a bit far for you.
http://www.adksuzukispares.co.uk/

A good set of tyres is the way forward, I've got grizzly claws going on mine. I had a set on my old 410 (see my pictures) and a small shackle lift , about 1", and it was brilliant.
My Mum lied..............it hasn't dropped off.

Offline nickW

Attack Member
Mods and things
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 14:02:50 »
a body lift is also quite a good way to fit bigger tyres

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal