AuthorTopic: Computer gurus...ME OS Software - change now or wait... ?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline BRO

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Is it worth upgrading from WinME to Win2000, XP or waiting until Win2004/5/6... comes out? Are the 'Pro' versions worthwhile or is the 'Home version' fine for home usage...

Whats happening out there? Longhorn???

ME works OK for me but later features in software & new hardware I think (hope  ) will work better with a later operating system. Perhaps I will be amazed at how perfect the new OSs are  - somehow I think not though...

I believe viruses designed specifically to exploit 2000 & XP are roaming now
Our company also would not install XP on new machines as yet. All new machines came with 2000...

Anyway one of the reasons I was thinking of changing was due to having a new FX 5200 graphics card that will not perform the appropriate Nvidia demos...

This is my system spec:
ECS K7S5A REV 3.0, Cheepoman BIOS CHB1129 (SSE compliant)
AXP 2400+
512 MB DDR PC3200 & 256 MB DDR PC2100 / Crucial by MICRON.
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HDD / Maxtor DiamondMAX 9.
MSI FX5200 Personal Cinema VT128  - New
DA08A BLack & Silver Case with fancy display
400W Power Supply.
LG GCC-4320B CDRW & DVD
CM1772FS monitor 17" CRT
Wireless mouse & keyboard
HP 940C deskjet printer.
WIN ME OS
Office 2000 Pro

So any other advice you experts might have would be appreciated.

I have got Win98SE - haven't noticed that WinME is any worse than that for crashing/instability etc. Used 2000 at work- did manage to get that to crash once  - I like the feature where you can see which programme is hogging resource - I did need it quite alot as I recall.... !

Cheers
Mick

'Tiggs BRO' T995 BRO Epsom Green 4.0 V8 ES7 - Oasis Side Steps, Rubbing Strips, PDC, K&N Filter, EBC Sport (dimpled & grooved) Discs, EBC SUV supreme pads, Goodridge lines, Discoparts CDL, Rear tints, Chrome ladder.

www.answersingenesis.org

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Computer gurus...ME OS Software - change now or wait... ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 20:48:57 »
Personally I use XP Pro.  To my mind it's a lot better than the 98 type operating systems including ME.  It's more solidly put together, somehow.

If you have XP Pro lying around then go for it, but if you'd have to buy it, you might as well wait for the next thing to come along...
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 22:59:43 »
XP is alot more stable than 98 or ME but is also prone to more 'virus' attacks. There are many reports of viruses an dpotential attacks coming in almots every day all related to XP one way or another.

If the OS you are using now works for you, why change?? If you feel XP will give you something new and exciting, then fine, upgrade, but ensure you run a firewall and upto date anti-virus software to help protect the PC from internet attack.

Have fun :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 23:08:44 »
there are two versions of XP

home edition and pro edition

ive used both (i have pro but father in law has home) not dug in deep enough to find the differences but its faster than 2000, and more stable

unsure on the minimum spec but it may be worth having

aint used 2003 except on servers (is there a desktop edition?) and it looks ok

dont know how long till longhorn comes out though so might be worth digging deep and getting xp to be honest

or

if you wanna be adventerous (and turn into ubergeek)

get linux!

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 23:12:52 »
Yeeh Linux is , erm well, challenging :)

I have just been playing around setting a server up at home and running linux on that, it works really well. I loaded Suses Linux (There are different vendors of the same product) and Suse Linux has a good graphical user interface (Screen) that allow all of the functions to be used pretty easily..... I am by no means anywhere near anythign above beginner, but it is  like I said, challenging :D
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline BRO

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 16:27:55 »
OK... I have taken the plunge and invested in a copy of XP Pro from an Ebay vendor...

Lets hope it 'does what it says on the tin'...

Thanks for your comments guys :D

Mick :D
Mick

'Tiggs BRO' T995 BRO Epsom Green 4.0 V8 ES7 - Oasis Side Steps, Rubbing Strips, PDC, K&N Filter, EBC Sport (dimpled & grooved) Discs, EBC SUV supreme pads, Goodridge lines, Discoparts CDL, Rear tints, Chrome ladder.

www.answersingenesis.org

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 20:32:02 »
robbie

it is challenging but thats part of it!

currently i have mandrake 10 and have got unreal tournament 2004 running on it quite fast!

its also handy for web design in that you can have your own web server running (before you have it live on t'internet!)

sorry for nicking the thread BRO  you wont regret going to XP but ensure you have all the windows updates etc (esp the one which "fixes" the sasser problem recently)

dyf

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 23:11:40 »
Yeeh make sure you get all of the updates, there have been 3 sessions htis week. And make sure you set the PC for 'Aout Update' so you will be notified when things require updating

With regard to Linux, it is worth getting your head around. I too run my home server (see url below, Suse Linux OS) for some piccies and stuff but need to get into better webpage stuff like tables etc etc to front end it all. I will get there in the end.

One thing is, when you move one stone, there are hundreds of little pebbles underneath :D

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 23:17:58 »
hmm spose

but im about to deploy this little nugget for my business site

www.mamboserver.com

its bloomin peachy!

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 23:22:06 »
I'll send the link to my 'advisers' :D

He will check it out and see what it gives us over the linux box. I dont want it if it dont need it :) I am having enough getting in touch with Suse, let alone another OS thingy :)

Thanks, and see you in cyber space :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal