AuthorTopic: Quad Bikes  (Read 1510 times)

Offline robbie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Quad Bikes
« on: May 06, 2004, 16:15:44 »
Does anyone have any experience of Quad Bikes and if they are actually the fun they look to be :)

I have no knowledge of them and interested in your views :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline HiFonics

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 16:52:15 »
Quad bikes are great fun but you really need somewhere to use them. You can road register them but its a bit of a nightmare and they are still really classed as an agricultural vehicle. You need to know what your doing though as they can be fairly leathal to corner and can get up to some silly speeds. I tried a Raptor 660 and it plained scared me. Most of my quad riding has been done on a Honda Bigred which always tended to be th farmers weapon of choice due to them being pretty much indestrucible. It will do 55mph across fields and up the roads but as it has no centre diff it corners like the QE2.

The Bigred is 4 stroke and tends to be very dependable. The 2 stroke quads in my experience tend to be a little temperamental. The Polaris Diesel is bloody noisy and really just a workhorse. You really need to think what you would want one for and when you would use it, then try a few out.

To get anything decent though you wll probably need to spend some pretty serious cash, otherwise expect to have it in bits more than you ride it. A decent one can cost up to £5k!

Cheers,

ben
99 Defender 90 TD5
04 Defender 110 TD5

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 16:58:28 »
Just a quick note...

According to our local Ambulance service, Quads are the cause of more fatalaties on farms in Dorset than anything else.

It seems that people have a tendency to roll them and end up getting squashed.

They can be fun....  but IMHO, a trials bike is safer....  or stick to a Land Rover ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 17:36:23 »
Thanks Guys, it was just a thought for the summer, but I think I will stick with the suzie (or Land rover if I see a good one I fancy for about £500)

:D
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 19:41:28 »
Robbie, you said good land rover and £500 all in the same sentance. That's no quite how it works with landy's mate, sorry. :lol:
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 19:55:11 »
You can get a brilliant Suzuki for £500.

:twisted:

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 20:18:35 »
I've only had a go on the smaller ones (125cc), problem is -if they get stuck the automatic reaction is to push with a foot like a motorbike, and then..............................

It runs up your calf :oops:  :roll:  most embarassing in company.

However. Remember Rik Mayall & Ozzy Osbourne.
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 20:32:17 »
That's no quite how it works with landy's mate

Thats why I have a Suzie :D

maybe one day if swmbo agrees :D

Offline Axle

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 19:37:07 »
There great fun in a straight line then it gets a bit complicated .

Karloss

i live in Ireland so prices would be a bit different  but like Robbie said Id get one for Around 500 and then give it a decent paintjob ,add some cheqer plate ,big tires maybe put a bigger engine in and hey presto . Would that work : :?:  :?:

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 21:27:42 »
Depends on how you look at it. If you start out with a cheap Land Rover you WILL have to spend money on things that you would prefere not to, such as steering joints, prop UJ's, brakes, seals etc etc. So by the time you've totted that lot up it's probably not far off the same price as buying a half decent one in the first place. Also the costs involved in getting someone to do the work (if your not handy with the spanners) can be ridiculous. Garages hear the words Land & Rover and double the price before they start. Whichever way you look at it Landy's aint cheap. To put it into perspective, a new Land Rover sells for a similar price as a new Mercedes.(C-class passenger car not the 4wd) Now most car manufactures watch each others prices very closley, so most cars that cost the same to buy cost similar ammounts to run. IE, servicing costs, parts, etc. So thus armed, when was the last time you saw a cheap Mercedes? Answer? You never did. Now you can get Land Rovers for as little as £200 that are runners. (But even that is a loose term) The problem here is that the Landy in question will be at least twenty-thirty years old. Not many cars make it to this age at all, none make it that far without extensive (and expensive) surgery. Also, just to explode a bit of an urban myth/legend, people that don't know a lot about Landy's have this picture of an unbreakable, rough and tumble, take on the world twice and always start to go to work type of battle truck. Sadly, this is not the case. I only wish it was. If you use a Landy in the rough on a regular basis, you ARE going to have problems. Yes they are built like a tank, but they are often built like Friday afternoon tanks. They are surprisingly fragile, particularly if you don't keep the right foot in check. If I was looking for a cheap motor, strictly for off roading, I doubt it would be a Land Rover, love them as I do. I would probably buy a Su..Suz.. S...S...S.....something cheaper, :lol:  and tow it to events with a proper motor. Like a Landy. 8)
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 21:45:11 »
I would probably buy a Su..Suz.. S...S...S.....

You can say SUZUKI on here, it wont be censored, honestly :D

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Quad Bikes
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 10:05:20 »
I think you'll find Karloss has the same affliction that I have, Robbie.

My words are W Wr Wro.... That's as near as I can get and the other one is Triumph Spi...............

No it won't come out.
I did once weld new floor pans into one under duress. :oops:

Ed
PS little suzy rolled on it's side at EAOR with petrol everywhere. I was going to send my little Lizzy over to push it back upright.
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal