AuthorTopic: central locking  (Read 5925 times)

Offline sub4x4

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
central locking
« on: April 11, 2004, 20:12:08 »
i realy do hate cars  :cry: can any body shed some light on a small prob im haveing drivers door works ok but the rest of my doors dont work on central locking  :x  found a little gray box which looks like a relay is it part of mi locking as it looks a bit worse for ware sat in the bottom of drivers door.. is there any way of finding which acctuator has gone if not all of em heres a pic of the relay any ideas welcome :idea:  :?:  :?:

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
central locking
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 21:58:59 »
I don't know what is it with that Disco of yours  :shock:

You get one thing sorted and then something else goes  :evil:

Strange though if it were the other way around and just one door was not working then maybe some WD40 would do the trick  :?:

I now it's a pain in the rear, but might be worth checking the other door's locks, and use the old WD stuff, might loosen things up  :?:

Good luck (it'll keep you busy)  :wink:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
central locking
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 20:36:20 »
Hi All

I have had a problem not unlike this since I bought the car but mine was when opening , the drivers door unlocks but the others some times don't I have to turn the key back and forth a couple of times to get all the doors open and the same when locking . The actuator on the rear door stopped working about three months after getting the car so I pulled an actuator out of a scrap (they should all be scraped) pug 405 passenger door and when turned through 90 degrees it fitted fine and worked as well as the origional  . I did notice that the one out of the drivers door had more wires comming out of it I think these opperate the other doors mabe the problem isn't with the relays but with the terminals in the actuator ??

when I have some time I will strip mine to have a look ..
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

linda longmate

door locks
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 21:45:49 »
WE've just bought a 300TDi Disco - had similar problem. We found a small circular spring on the nearside door catch and the boot door catch had both broken, Fitted new springs and everything's working fine. We also found that the door catches off classic range rover fitted the passenger door. When you look at the catch, the spring is just 1 coil of sprung steel with a tiny hook on either end, and it usually breaks in half. It's a common fault and it makes it seem as though the actuators aren't working. Hope this helps. If not, most auto electrical factors sell standard central locking actuators for about £15 or so each + vat.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
central locking
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 16:31:24 »
I don't know if 300TDIs are the same, but the 200TDI actuators were forever packing in.  Maplins sell them for 7 quid.  Part code is YD89 or YD79, one is the driver's (4 wire), the other is the other doors (2 wire only), can't remember which one is which.  They're a direct replacement for the 200TDI ones.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline sub4x4

Attack Member
central locking
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 19:53:15 »
cheers lads but wot about the relay thingy mi bob were will i get one of them as its fried with getting wet  :cry: when i sunk :twisted:

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
central locking
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 15:40:48 »
Thanks for that info David,
Just had to replace one of my actuators on the n/s door after the door wouldn't lock properly. YD79L is the 2 wire and YD79K is the 5 wire.

Thanks again.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
central locking
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 14:33:50 »
Don't know what that little box does but it's under the dash on a Rangie, so try you breakers for one.  Other than that I'd say go to Maplins, you can buy a complet kit and it doesn't have any funny little boxes, just a 5 wire for the front doors and a 2 wire at the back.  Tis way either front door can control the system.  Whilst there buy an alarm with central locking interface and do it all on the keyfob!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal