AuthorTopic: Ford Ranger  (Read 2875 times)

Offline s.stirley

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ford Ranger
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:25:55 »
Hi .. looking for comments on the Ford Ranger.

Have a choice between an L200 and a Ford Ranger for a works 'van'. The Ranger is cheaper and better specced, in reality I think I probably can't afford the L200 - so any comments on the Ranger ? It will be a brand new XLT model, double-cab.

All the reviews I can find are pretty good, though none mention use off-tarmac. It has pretty much the same drivetrain setup as the L200 (which I know is good as friends have them) but with an LSD rather than a rear locker (not sure how long L200 has had the rear locker, but new one I test-drove did). Wheel-base is about 2.5" longer, but no other significant differences I can see.

Appreciate any (sensible !) comments.  Cheers, Simon
'Gravity, it's not just a good idea - it's the law'
Mud and Dirt Freelanders - http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk
Cambridgeshire GLASS rep.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:43:06 »
Seen one used as a course car for both the Hillrally and BORC. Seems perfectly capable of the job, although it's nose is vulnerable and the breakover isn't much to write home about.

Always looks like it lacks ground clearance, but that could just be appearance. Like I said, it traversed the Hillrally course and seemed readily competant.

The one thing I would say, is that if its comes from one of the American plants look out for build quality (not just simple reliability, but things like excessive flashing around spot welds etc). There isn't the same perception of 'craftsmanship' as you get from other nations.

Personal experience says the L200 is a better package, but a lot of that is down to folks differing tastes

.........and what the wallet allows!  :wink:

HTH
Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Ford Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:50:56 »
if its the current model of ford ranger or badged mazda as it is then they are reasonable value at the mo as the new model is coming.
we have one for work but have had lots of probs with the front suspension keep falling apart and need repairing and lots of unexplained noises etc from the suspension when turning which ford still cant diagnose.
Also when speaking to the service guys at our Ford dealer turns out that for warranty they have to go to mazda for answers etc which takes time and if you have an engine problem ford have to ask mazda then mazda have to ask nissan as its their engine  :shock:
they dont have a massive fuel tank either so you seem to be forever in the garage filling up
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Banstock

Attack Member
    • maidenhead
Ford Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 20:36:09 »
Had the mazda double cab pickup 2002 model for two years not a fault in all that time. Used it around our farm lots of off-road and motorway miles.
But I could never get comfy in the drivers seat it felt too low to the floor pan, and my throttle foot started to ache after a few miles.
Changed it for a defender in the end
Defender TD5 2000
Disco 300tdi 1995 5door with mods

Series III 109 EX MOD 1985
Series I 88  1958 older than me

Offline s.stirley

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:13:38 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Curiously I've heard the same about L200 seats from another source, so will be careful what I'm getting either way. I don't tend to drive for long periods at a time anyway, so it's not so critical. It will be a lease too, so reliability isn't that much of an issue except for the inconvenience.

I would prefer the L200, but for some reason prices just sky-rocketed on leases. I suspect because of the new model they've stopped making the old one, which probably means demand is outstripping supply and they don't need to give discounts - the one reason leases are cheap ! the L200 I'd seen for 180 p/m is now 215p/m, compared with a better-specced Ranger for 149 p/m - I don't really have a choice financially !

This is all assuming they'll let me have one anyway, as I've only been trading for 15 months.

Cheers, Simon

PUX

Ford Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 12:46:13 »
i was drivin a ford ranger out in afgahnistan for 4 mths on and off it was not bad at all took alot of abuse and i mean alot but kept goin and goin :wink:

Offline Legionnaire

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 13:15:22 »
So what did you get?

Andrew
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD,  Lightweight Landrover

Offline s.stirley

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 17:36:51 »
Ranger XLT in black over silver. Find out if it's any good soon enough, as it gets delivered tomorrow !

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 15:17:08 »
Had to drag my mates North American Ranger XLT out of a muddy lane by the canal it got stuck in using a Suzuki Sidekick (Vitara JLX) running on 2 1/2 cylinders. Found it got stuck very quickly and totally stuck. Also on 'washboarding' and bad road surfaces I round it got tail-end happy quite frequently.

Rear seat layout is just plain odd :)

How you finding it?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline s.stirley

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 22:10:43 »
I guess it's been long enough to comment now .. in a word it's excellent ! It's a great drive, very easy vehicle to just get in and go with.

First off-road foray was on the original road-tyres, and interesting to say the least. The LSD on the back made up for the lack of grip, and kept me going even in two wheel drive long after I expected to be stuck. I did get it stuck a few weeks later though, and a stone which ripped the side-wall of one of the road tyres made me get them swapped for AT's before I did them all in. Now it's become 'WOW', seems pretty unstoppable in the rough-stuff now, tackling in 2wd what some vehicles with me have got stuck in - the tyres make such a difference. Probably a good job as I did the Macmillan Challenge in it with only 1500 miles on the clock :) we raised plenty of money though, so it was all good.

Still loving it, no major scratches as yet so finger crossed. Just back from a weekend in the Peaks with MAD Freelanders (see site link below for pics) which was fun :)

Cheers

Offline aaron

Attack Member
Ford Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 15:12:47 »
Hi guys i'm looking for a pick up truck to replace my beaten up 96 model hilux. If anyone has any comments on the ranger, L200, D22 or hilux of the 99 to 2002ish sort of era,any spec or cabetc. It would be most appreciated!!! Thanks
Ford ranger, daily driver.
Porsche 924 ongoing project, yet to drive!!
Suzuki X90 off roader.........also a project!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal