AuthorTopic: Noise and Vibration  (Read 1513 times)

Offline DaveS

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Noise and Vibration
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:18:39 »
My 89 Classic has started to make a knocking noise, and has some vibration. It seems to come from around transfer box, could be from rear. Autobox is working fine. It has viscous type centre diff and BW autobox.

Noise is there on load and with box in neutral(coasting). Have'nt had time to look and its too wet and cold, but any pointers/hints would be much appreciated.
Thinkinh u/js or diff problem?

Damn thing really starting to annoy me, lots of problems this year. :(
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 20:31:01 »
Without specifics about that knocking I'd suggest you check the propshaft hasn't come loose.  Is it a speed related knock or just a single knock when taking up drive? is it there under heavy acceleration?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:56:29 »
Speed related, have checked propshft seems solid, no side to side or end paly that I can see. Going to check wheel bearings etc when I get  time. Seems to be coming from rear axle region. :(
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 13:04:11 »
I'm going to suggest you jack it up at both ends and run the engine/transmission to see if it still makes the noise, that way you can walk round the car and listen to both wheels.  I'd suggest axle stands under the back axle and the jack alongside one front wheel, leaving one on the ground.  If the noise goes completely it could be bearings or drivetrain damage.  If it's still there it could also be a stone in the hub, disk damage etc. etc.  If it get quieter thatv would also suggest drivetrain.

Does it do it in reverse?  do you think it's in time with the wheels or the propshaft, is it slower than that?  Are your wheels tight and all the bolts/nuts free ie not binding before they are tight?  what wheels have you got on?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 13:36:02 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
I'm going to suggest you jack it up at both ends and run the engine/transmission to see if it still makes the noise, that way you can walk round the car and listen to both wheels.  

If you do this, be very, very careful!  Only do it if you have a solid flat surface and at least four properly rated axle stands.  

I would do this myself, but I wouldn't usually recommend anyone tries this.  I suggest you have someone in the car ready to jump on the clutch and brakes if something goes wrong.

H

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:46:56 »
Well finally found some daylight time to have a look.
Checked all propshafts, okay managed to get some grease into them while I was there. Gonna have to replace a couple of nipples as rhey were bugned up!

Jacked up front, then rear in turn checking for play in wheels thinking bearings. All okay.

Thought I'd check all wheel nuts, offside rear were not fully tight!! Obviously tight enough to prevent me feeling any play but not with weight on! Applied large wheel spanner to all!

Car had brake pipe on rear done (failed MOT) a few weeks ago so I can only assume it was'nt torqued up, I do check wheel nuts regularly! Certainly will continue the practise!!
Many thanks to all for their suggestions much appreciated. : :D
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 12:07:40 »
Worth checking the stud threads for damage then.

H

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 14:32:36 »
Good point, will do that thanks.
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Noise and Vibration
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 20:11:09 »
Had that happen to me, nuts nipped up but not fully tight I'd guess and one of the LHS ones came loose, it's the heavy braking.  I always check twice now.  Worth checking after 20 miles too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal