AuthorTopic: strange faults on my diesel  (Read 1129 times)

Offline gtomo2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
strange faults on my diesel
« on: November 26, 2005, 18:48:34 »
Hello everybody. My rangie let me down this morning. It would not start. found fault to be all 4 of the glow plugs not working. They were ok friday. Anybody had a problem like this before. Me thinking it was a surge from the batterys as engine was not running or plugs stayed on too long and burnt out
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 18:58:57 »
Which engine?

I don't think you'd be able to get a surge from the battery.  It can provide just over 12v but not anything more.  A surge from the alternator could be a possibility.

However, I think it's more likely that 3 of your glow plugs were already gone, and it's just the last one giving up the ghost which has meant you couldn't start it.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 19:04:31 »
Yes engine details would be good its a perkins 3ltr turbo diesel. True but if 3 of the plugs were not working i would of noticed as it would of been a pig to start. But its been starting great up til this morning. engine not running when glow plugs are pre-heating. Only thing i can think of is they stayed on and burnt out on friday which would explane why it would not start the day after. Just never knowen anything likes this before
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)

Offline PoPrivit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 20:29:42 »
Hi Chap,

are you sure that the glow plugs have gone and that it's not just lost a feed. you should have a 12v feed from a relay to power the glow plugs. i dont think that you would drop all 4 plugs at the same time. Get your self a good tester an check for a 12v feed and keep following the wire back till you find one.

cheers rich
Present

1974 BobTail Rangie V8 Man with TruckCab and full external cage

1995 Soft Dash RRC Vogue SE 300 TDi Auto

1997 300 Tdi Disco "for my good lady"

Previous

1986 RRC V8 Man with 300 Tdi Retrofit (sold)

3.9 V8 300 Disco (sold)
3.5 V8 RRC (sold)
3.9 V8 RRC Gassed (sold)
300 ES Disco (sold)
SIII 2 1/4 Petrol (sold)

200 Tdi Disco Breaking

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 21:08:25 »
I check the feed to the plugs got about 12.5v. so tested all the connections with the one spare glow plug i have and it worked on all the connections.only thing i can think of is the plugs stayed on for to long and burnt out. As the car started normally on friday went to sart it this morning and it would not start. ruled out one or two  not working over time but think i would of notice this as the car would be hard to start and up to saturday morning it had been starting normal. And i have never heard of 4 plugs going at the same time. very strange
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)

Offline IAN E

Attack Member
HEATER PLUGS
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 21:05:56 »
HI MATE, I KNOW YOUVE CHECKED FOR VOLTAGE AT THE GLOW PLUGS AND HAVE 12.5 VOLTS, HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR AMPERAGE AS WELL, THE CONTACTS IN THE RELAY MAY BE BURNT, THIS WILL ALLOW A VOLTAGE TO THE PLUGS BUT NO CURRENT( AMPS)- IT IS A BIT DIFFICULT TO CHECK WITHOUT AN INDUCTIVE CURRENT CLAMP (ie ONE THAT CLAMPS AROUND THE WIRING BUT DOESNT BREAK INTO IT), IF YOU KNOW AN RAC or AA MAN THEY CARRY THEM IN THE VANS, IT DOESNT TAKE 2 MINS TO CHECK IT. THAT COULD WELL BE THE PROBLEM.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 22:09:07 »
true i have a amp meter somewhere will try and dig it out and have a looksee. Failing that the mother in law is with a aa will see what they can do. If they ever turn up
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:46:37 »
just got back from a local idesel garage and had some good news my engine which i was told is a perkins 3ltr is infact a mazda 3.8ltr. and the glow plugs i had in it wear the wrong ones some new plugs fitted and its up and running great again now. so all i have to do now is sit back and wait for the next bit to brake or fall off :lol:  :D
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal