AuthorTopic: Steering problem  (Read 1319 times)

Offline H

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering problem
« on: November 18, 2005, 18:52:45 »
Probably fall out from last sunday at Witworth Quarrylast couple of days leading up to me pulling over and calling out the AA this morning to be recovered into work. Jacking the axle up (on both sides) shows that both front wheels have play in them if you hold then at 12:30 and rock them with your hands shows play that appears to be in the swivel housing. Any ideas whats likely to have worn out or broken and how easy they are to fix, and what sort of money I'm looking at for parts.
Cheers
H

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Steering problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 21:16:27 »
It's more than likely to be the swivel bearings that have gone.
If you can only feel a little play then you can somethings get away with removing a couple of shims from under the top swivel pin.

To check for sure that the play is in the swivel bearings, do the same check again but get someone to look at the seal around the chrome swivel. If they can see movement when you rock the wheel at 12:30 then it's the swivel bearings. If they can't see movement then start with your wheel bearings.

The Swivel bearings are about £4 each +vat but also check the swivel pins incase these need replacing as well.  :wink:

Offline H

Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 21:37:31 »
Quote from: "Budgie"

To check for sure that the play is in the swivel bearings, do the same check again but get someone to look at the seal around the chrome swivel. If they can see movement when you rock the wheel at 12:30 then it's the swivel bearings. If they can't see movement then start with your wheel bearings.

The Swivel bearings are about £4 each +vat but also check the swivel pins incase these need replacing as well.  :wink:

Was able to do that and watch it myself thats definatly where the play is, passanger is only sluight and needs a bit of force to cause it but drivers side is quiet extreme and was the rease I stopped this morning and got recovered, to be honest its been making a bit of a noise intermintantly after straightening up from a turn similar to ummmm a worn bearing I guess, should of replaced it before I went playing but sundays play wasnt planned.

H

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 22:45:35 »
OH NO what ya done mate. www.landroverspares.co.uk Buckley Bros is brill for cheep parts they in Blackburn and easy to find. Stop playing silly bu**ers you know ya motors mate. Hope ya get it fixed. Why dont ya get up lakes with us lot next weekend. Good luck
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline H

Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 22:56:14 »
Quote from: "Miniman"
OH NO what ya done mate. www.landroverspares.co.uk Buckley Bros is brill for cheep parts they in Blackburn and easy to find. Stop playing silly bu**ers you know ya motors mate. Hope ya get it fixed. Why dont ya get up lakes with us lot next weekend. Good luck

busy next weekend adjustign tappets on a mitsubishi, yup I do know what I'm doing with Motors, just wanted to have some idea what was up before I dived in there with me spannersnot had the front axle apart on the rangie, just wanted some idea before I started, cheers guys

H

Offline H

Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 20:15:42 »
well 4 swivel housing bearings and 2 cv joints later she back running again lucky didnt need new pins, although one of my cv was a bit worn and the other ummm best described as smashed to bits! I'm off now to find the person who decided to use torques csk bolts to hold in the lower swivel pin and make him (or her) eat the stripped and knacked bolts that held me up for at least 2 hours this afternoon.

H

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 20:20:59 »
Glad its fixed Howard!
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Steering problem
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 23:33:32 »
Quote from: "H"
I'm off now to find the person who decided to use torques csk bolts to hold in the lower swivel pin and make him (or her) eat the stripped and knacked bolts that held me up for at least 2 hours this afternoon.

H
You think that's bad, try getting the swivle housing away from the axle on a 300 Series Disco! They put 8 of the things on it!!!  :evil:

Good to hear your back on the road though H.  :wink:

Offline H

Attack Member
Steering problem
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 23:43:25 »
one was bad enough after eventually getting one off on the near side (bending my mole grips in the process) had to drill most of the head off the 2nd and then hammer the ballast bar over the rest of the remaining head as the head from the drill had tempered the steel and it would drill anymore. had to hammer the ballast bar straight again.... then trip up to the local engineering factors and guess what they didnt have any 11/16 ufc 1 1/4" csk socket screws so I had to get hex heads and acouple of washers to bodge the job for the time being, only reason I can soo for the bolts needing to be counter sunk is so that the brake sheild can fit over them unless I missed something seems daft to engineer somethign so crutial to constraingts of a small 1.2mm thick metal sheild that they could have easly added a bit to and had normal bolts in there...... Rant over. but anyway shes running again and unless anyone can show me anythign crutially wrong with my bodge of using hex nuts instead of the  counter suk she'll do until I can get my hands on the proper bults (preferably with a allen head rather than an torques)

H
ps wouldnt have minded so much if it had been a cheap torques biut that didnt fit well but it was a snap on one, the hole in the head of that bolt is just too shallow!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
Steering problem
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 00:10:47 »
Sorry H, we were talking about different things.  :oops:

The bolts on the swivel housings are normal bolts, just that they have a Torx head instead of a hex head, and they're Locktighted in there!  :roll:

I know what you went through though, nothign worse that spending two hours getting one bolt undone!!  :?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal