AuthorTopic: V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ratman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« on: October 23, 2005, 20:46:47 »
Been told that running LPG and a raised air intake in a no no as it acts as a ram effect and you strugle to set up the mixture.

Has any one had any experience or can give me any advice as I'm having the conversion carried out early November .

Thanks
4 Rangies, All V8's, the good, the bad and the down right ugly.
Oh and the wifes

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 21:19:01 »
Its ok
I run an LPG disco with a safari snorkel.
The thing i noticed is with the top the right way round it did play with the air flow.
I turned the top backwards and it was fine.
So a mantec, rebel or whoever snorkel will be fine as long as your not raming the air into the filter.
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Garth

Attack Member
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 22:50:58 »
It may depend on what type of LPG system you are getting.  The system I had installed on my 3.9 efi (non cat) required a Lambda sensor fitting as it monitors the emmissions and alters the mixture to suit.
I am no expert but it seems to work OK.  The only downside is you need a Laptop and software to setup.

Garth
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline ratman

Attack Member
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 23:53:32 »
Ay up Garth

Thanks for reply, the system that's going to be fitted as far as I know doesn't have lamba sensors.

The reason for the question is that the guy who's fitting and providing the cert for insurance says he cann't refit the snorkel.

If every one thinks it'll be alright I'll refit it when I get back home and take it from there.

I'll let you all know
4 Rangies, All V8's, the good, the bad and the down right ugly.
Oh and the wifes

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 01:16:48 »
There will be an air inlet into the back of the LPG evaporator under the bonnet, plumb this into the air box and you should be ok.  TBH wading on LPG is a problem anyhow as the evaporator won't work under water, or full of sand come to that so it need waterproofing.

Having a lambda sensor should cure the ram air effect, alternatively don't use the snorkel on-road.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
V8 Efi LPG and Snorkel
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 18:01:35 »
Ram air affect is bad on LPG it will really screw up how it runs if you have a venturi mixer . Don't know if it does the same with sequential injection.

I had a snorkel on mine when i ran LPG and despite the fact I had to play around with it to get the miture right it was mostly not a problem.

Mine is a home made affair from 3" pipe with a cone filter on the top which is surrounded by a bit of chequer plate (or else the trees soon destroy it! Or they do on the lanes Dave Landy makes you drive! :-)))) ).

Don't go near a ford whilst running on LPG as you will soon conk out. I have a pipe connecting my vapouriser to the snorkel but I found that not only were the electrics too delecate but I think the sudden cooling effect on the vapouriser must have soom ill effect as mine _ALWAYS_ canked out a few 100 yards down the road afterwards. I might be wrong on this as i am no expert but that is the best theory that i could think of!

HTH

Cheers

John
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal