AuthorTopic: Reverse gear thud  (Read 1010 times)

shihho55

Reverse gear thud
« on: October 20, 2005, 15:14:29 »
Hi, I have a 1992 range rover 3.9efi auto. unfortunately, whenever you select reverse gear, there is a load thud (someone said to me that this is the diff) and i was wondering if this was likely to get worse and develop into something more serious. I've owned the car for 18 months and am actually selling it, I dont want to sell it like this if its going to get worse for whoever buys it. Also sometimes there is a thud when the car selects first gear when slowing down.
The car has done 92000 miles and appart from this and also the tappets being a bit noisy, it is in perfect condition.

Any help on this would be much appreciated (any suggestions as to how to quieten the tappets would be very useful too!!!)

many thanks

rob

Offline MuddyMike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Reverse gear thud
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 15:30:46 »
Check the balljoint on the top of the rear axle, they can give quite a thud when selecting gears once worn.

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Reverse gear thud
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 17:42:42 »
Could be play in any of the drivetrain components.... check the diffs and props for play.

The gearbox output shaft is also a favourite for wearing and will produce a healthy clunk when you change gears...

See here :   http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Reverse gear thud
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 21:08:24 »
I've got one that does that, bought it from Boom.  It did it when he bought it too, some just do that.  When you think how many splined parts there are between the box and the wheels it's not that surprising.

ANyway, like Tim siad, check everything underneath to see if it's something obvious, could even be something loose :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline johnniep

Attack Member
Reverse gear thud
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 21:25:22 »
we had a auto box that used to do it because on the output shaft on the gearbox it had 1/2 the teeth missing, it would be fine unless you but it underload and it would make an unhealthy clunk/bang!
also the center diff was smashed, could have been that!

cheers
johnniep
rangie1, nissan 3.5tdi 4door vogue
rangie2, perkins 6cylinder 5.5litre disel 2door
rangie3, 3.5 v8 4door bobtail
rangie4, 2door engineless, probs b a special!

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
Reverse gear thud
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 09:06:45 »
This is a well known prob with all landys. Check the A FRAME bushes above the rear axle.

They are fairly cheap, and i would replace with polybushes if you have the money.

When worn, it allows the rear axle to twist backwards and forwards when you select the gears. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal