AuthorTopic: 200tdi overheating (HELP!!!!!)  (Read 881 times)

Offline JD LWB

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi overheating (HELP!!!!!)
« on: October 11, 2005, 23:01:22 »
Hi Guys

I thought I'd post this in here aswell, in case any of you Disco boys (and girls) had any solutions.

I've been having a problem with my 200tdi (Defender engine) 110 running hot for a while now. :cry:

It never actually overheats, but on a sustained run (20 mins or more), the temp gauge sits just below the edge of the white.

On a run on the motorway, if I travel at 50-60, the temp creeps up, but if I run at 65-70, it sits at or just below the top of the white and doesn't move (I got down to Billing and Malvern along with 2 runs to Shrewsbry and back from here in Derbyshire with no problems).

After a short but fast run (plenty of turbo use), the top of the rad is hot and the bottom (and water in the expansion tank) is almost stone cold.

My first thought was a faulty thermostat (not opening properly and restricting flow).  I took it out and tested it and it works perfectly.  While I was checking the thermostat, I flushed the radiator.  This seemed to be clear (got a bit of gunk out, but not much) and the water flowed freely.

I assume from this that the water is not circuilating properly.  The only causes I can come up with other that the thermostat are, either a dodgy water pump or a blockage in the system (in the Rad or elsewhere).  

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be and any solutions.

Thanks
James

It's Big, It's Blue, It's MINE! and it's DEAD!

gords

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 23:07:14 »
I have similar problems if the level gets even slightly low in the expansion tank. It seems to get very nearly to the red and then, all of a sudden, it drops right back down again!?

It seems fine if the level is kept well up...?

colintandy

water
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 11:08:04 »
just read this
so what if you were to fit a larger expansion tank maybe that would help just a thought    but  saying that 200tdi are known for overcooling so i would keep checking myself the 90 defender that my wife drives does the same thing but not quite to the end of the white line maybe we all got cursed at birth  :evil:

Offline Sharpshooter

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:55:46 »
Could well be the waterpump. I know my Disco 200Tdi one was replaced at 80ish thou. I now have a kenlowe kit fitted, and its much better. Warms up quicker. :D

Offline JD LWB

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 13:13:49 »
The engine's done nearly 100k now (I think) so it might be that!
James

It's Big, It's Blue, It's MINE! and it's DEAD!

TUFFTEE

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 18:49:20 »
Jason! Have you thought that it could be Airlocking? :?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal